Sign in to follow this  
Slumpin

does a sealed box have to be symetrical?

im building a sealed box for the well of my 87 trans am for 2 rl-p 12s. i'm having a bit of trouble getting 1.25 cubic feet for each speaker but i think i've found a way. however, im not sure if it will screw the sound up. im using a single chamber, not one for each speaker. does if matter if i have a bit more of the airspace on one side of the box?

http://thirdgen.org/techbb2/showthread.php...threadid=306257

here is the link to the plans. what i want to do is extend the bottom section so that it comes over further at the bottom, where it sits way down in the well. the dimension on there that says 22 1/2 i want to extend to the left side of the box about 2.5 or 3 inches. this shouldnt matter in a sealed box right? thanks,

Shaun

by the way, i suppose i should ask before i redesign the thing and start cutting. net airspace is with the speakers factored in right? about how much difference does polyfill make? like say i could get 1.17 cubic feet per sub. could 16 oz of polyfill make it sound like 1.25?

Perfectly fine if it has an odd shape

air space is air space.....

Before you go and try to cut everything out you should try something. I had an '88 camaro which is pretty much the same car. The back cubby/trunk is sealed good enough that you can actually take a piece of MDF and cut it so that it fits in the groove in the back. I had a pair of Pioneer 10" back there with the board sealed using a type of double sided foam tape. You may want to give that a try, I liked it, it may save you from more cutting/ work.

it is, my old car was a 1990 camaro iroc-z. i had 2 jl 10w3's in a sealed box behind the seat, facing backwards, and 2 12w3's in an "enclosure" like that down in the well. honestly, the 10's hit harder than the 12's lol. a lot harder. both pairs had plenty of power. i've already started building it, sure its a pain in the ass, but its gonna sound NICE. :D