Sign in to follow this  
Slumpin

can someone please help me with my gain?

i read the tutorial, but im having some trouble. im not getting anywhere near the voltage i should be with my dmm, and its NEGATIVE! of course im doing it wrong, but i need someone to talk me through it. could one of you pm me a phone number so i can call you? should only take a couple minutes, im sure its just something simple im messing up. would really appreciate it. thanks,

Shaun

It is AC voltage, which means polarity of the output voltage really doesn't matter in this case.

Gain Setting Equation

Voltage of the output = sqrt(RMS Power X impedance of the speaker)

Example

Say the amp provides 100WRMS into a 4 ohm speaker:

Voltage = sqrt(100W X 4 ohms)

Voltage = sqrt(400W*ohms)

Voltage = 20V

k i went to do this, and i think its the formula im doing wrong. i still dont have much of a charging system, drops under 12 regularly, so i used 1200 for the voltage, i know nine.1's are underrated and can put out around 1400 with a good charging system. so i took 1200 by 4 (dual 4 ohm woofers) and the square root was 69. but the voltage i was getting was in the 20s. i have 2, dual 4 ohm voice coil speakers running at a 1 ohm load to the amp. what do i multiple the amps rms power by?

and i can honest to god turn the sub gain on my deck up to +10? says in the tutorial to turn it up all the way but i gotta get clarification on that one lol. i know the boost on the amp stays down.

i've got it set at just under 34.6. it peaks at 34.4 at 45 hz. i have the deck set to +5 on the bass, the bass boost on the amp set to +3 or 4 db, and the amp turned up all the way. when i'd turn up the boost on the deck more it would jump a lot. +6 would have it peaking 3 or 4 volts higher. the woofers aren't hooked up, i've got them out of the car until tomorrow night, have some silicone drying on the wire hole, was a bit of a leak there. should i go ahead and turn the deck up to +6, turn the boost on the amp down, and back the power off a bit on the amp, or leave it the way it is?

(i know i know amp boost is bad but i figured they aren't hooked up, and its only a few db, im getting just the voltage i want so what the hell, i'll check here first.)

Should have no trouble getting the voltage you need without all those boosts...

using even a little amp boost then is harmful? and i'll definitely have to redo this once i get my new alternator and battery in right?

Is your voltage dropping without the subs hooked up?

IMO, any bass boost is detremental to sound, but, as much boosting as you were giving it would not sound good at all.

now im kinda confused. you're saying any at all including deck? i was only giving it +3 db on the amp out of +14. i didnt check if the voltage was dropping without the woofers hooked up. my best bet is going to be set the deck at +6 and leave the amp boost off then?

I don't run either, deck or amp, and don't recommend to run any either, but all my opinion. Music sounds better when you don't add filler to it that wasn't there in the first place.

so there shouldnt really be any difference between using the deck or amp to gain? sorry to be such a pita about this just dont want to be blowing my subs. btw, why did you ask if my voltage dropped without the woofers hooked up?