Sign in to follow this  
jdub0802

Poly-Fill to Help Xcon

Hi All,

I purchased a 1.48 cubic foot box for a 12 inch Icon that I was purchasing, since it was the optimal size box after the sub displacement. However, through some serious luck and acts of nature, I was sent a 12 inch Xcon instead of the Icon. The sub is being powered by a SAE-1200D at 1 ohm in the back of my 2004 Impala. While the Xcon sounds great and is finally breaking in, it seems to want a bigger box.

The sub is crossed at 80hz, and hits really hard in the 40 to 50 hz range, but below that it seems to run out of steam fast. I am guessing that this is due to the small box.

I don't have the funds to have a new box built right at the moment, so I was wondering if adding some poly-fil to the current would help out? If it would help out, how much should I add to the box?

Thank you all for your help.

Jimmy

The Xcon is not really a strong sealed enclosure subwoofer with it's lower Q and higher Fs. It's EBP is ~88, which indicates it is best suited to ported enclosures. You aren't really going to be able to do much to really bring the low end out strong short of trying to EQ it in or building a ported enclosure.

You can try adding polyfill and see what if any changes in sound you notice. There's no right or wrong. I believe the "standard" recommendation is 1-1.5lbs per cubic foot, but you can add more if you wish. You will want to avoid suffocating the pole vent.

Try what Is suggested above in terms of polyfill. The Xcon still performs very well sealed, there is a growing number of people sealing them and loving the result. It just takes some planning and testing to find what sounds best in your install.

Thank you both for your quick answers. When putting the fill in, should I glue it to the box to make sure it doesn't end up in the vent or in the cone area?

Thank you both for your quick answers. When putting the fill in, should I glue it to the box to make sure it doesn't end up in the vent or in the cone area?

The installs I've seen that use polyfill stapled it to the inside of the box.

Loose is fine in a sealed enclosure.