WxGuy1

2 10" Rli or 1 12" Rl-p?

I'm currently coming from a setup consisting of 2 JL 12w3s in a ~7 ft^3 ported box getting about 400W each. I am going to use the same amp (providing about 900w RMS @ 2ohms). I am also going more for an SQ setup this time -- I want osmething that hits nice and hard, and I'm not too concerned about someting that'll make my ears hurt (okay, I don't want that anymore). So, here's the question: which would YOU prefer -- 2 10" i's or 1 12" P? I still haven't decided on ported vs. sealed yet, as I don't know how much less-loud a ported enclosure is, since I only have experience with my old, big ported box. If I do the 12" Rl-p, I'll probably go sealed, but may do either sealed or ported if I do the 2 10" Rl-is... Any insight? The semi-typical "go listen and pick the one you like most" doesn't work too well given that SS subs aren't sold in stores like other brands. Thanks!

well, with ur amp being 900 @ 2ohm, that kinda eliminates the pair of 10's, being all of mike's driver's are d4, u'll never get the impedence u'll need.

teh one 12"rl-p in 1.25ft^3 sealed would be sweet...and that can range from about 1.15 to 1.5, depending upon musical preferance. i'd also suggest anywhere from 1.5 to 2ft^3 ported tuned to 32-34hz...no real loss of sq and the output gain is worth it.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

For whatever reason, I was thinking the that Rl-i's were available in dual 2ohm VCs as well, though I see that they are only available in dual 4ohm config. Darn! At 4 ohm, 450-500w won't really drive 2 10"s very well. Thanks mrray13. Personally, I was partial to the 2 10"s setup, so I may have to go back and look at a few other subs (e.g. RE SE).

Hehe, truth be told, I am more comfortable recommending the two 10's getting fed between 225-250 watts a piece, than I am with them getting almost 500! The RL-i series 10's are not as forgiving as our Premium series products when it comes to overpowering, and just to be safe I really do not like using more than 400 watts on them at any given time. The first time I used this driver was off of 175 watts each on a pair in seperate 0.75 cu ft sealed chambers and they sounded great! Might not win any SPL contests, but the sound quality was there and output was more than adequate for the average listener looking for a well-balanced system.

At any rate, it's your call to make!

Yeah, if I go with the Soundsplinters, it'd either be...

+ 1 12" Rl-P getting 800-900W ... OR...

+ 2 10" Rl-i's getting about 225-250W a piece

I would have loved to go with the 2 10" i's in a sealed box getting 350-400W a piece, but I can't do that with the impedance on the i-series subs. Hmm.

I kinda like the 2 10's idea, but I need to try a head to head to learn more