Sign in to follow this  
j3ffr3ybak3r

2nd Alternator questions

Would I be able to run 2 alternators on my 2003 Lancer if i made the bracket and had room for it? If so how would I go about wring the second one in, or could I have it wired to just my audio battery ?

Yes, you can, and yes, I would run it to a second battery, and keep the audio separate from the stock electrical.

Yes, you can, and yes, I would run it to a second battery, and keep the audio separate from the stock electrical.

And how would you go about having a second isolated alternator, I'm all ears. And why necessarily keep your electrical "seperate"? Or am I misunderstanding you?

OP, what do you need a second alternator for? How many batteries do you have/ plan to have in the future? Also what kind of dual alternator set ups have you looked into, also what brands?

Edited by NCSU ECE

And how would you go about having a second isolated alternator, I'm all ears. And why necessarily keep your electrical "seperate"? Or am I misunderstanding you?

OP, what do you need a second alternator for? How many batteries do you have/ plan to have in the future? Also what kind of dual alternator set ups have you looked into, also what brands?

You would have the hot from the alternator running to a second battery, running your system, while the stock alternator only has to deal with stock electrical. You would keep them seperate so that if for some reason your second battery is draining, like when you don't have the vehicle running, it could go dead and you would still have the main battery to start your vehicle. Wouldn't have to worry about your system drawing excess current, except for the safety of your equipment. Wouldn't have to deal with lights dimming, you would still have stock electrical with no aditional draw.

You would have the hot from the alternator running to a second battery, running your system, while the stock alternator only has to deal with stock electrical. You would keep them seperate so that if for some reason your second battery is draining, like when you don't have the vehicle running, it could go dead and you would still have the main battery to start your vehicle. Wouldn't have to worry about your system drawing excess current, except for the safety of your equipment. Wouldn't have to deal with lights dimming, you would still have stock electrical with no aditional draw.

Oh, so you didn't mean the alternators weren't running on a single belt, I misunderstood you. With two batteries in parallel you are also optimizing the internal pressure of the batteries.