mrray13

new towers for me questions

ok, i've got the high end covered...with these planars, thanks ryan

but i need help with the mid and sub....i want to do a three way set up.

here's some idea's...

these for the midbass/range

these for the subs

i have no idea about the crossovers...

i want to do either a 10 or a 12 in each tower (or a pair of something) and either a 5.25 or 6-6.5 for the mid. i don't want to spend a fortune, but i want to thrash my 14 year old set of pioneer towers....

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

talk to OlogyAudio on CA.com or AIM, he helped me out with my bookshelves and seems like a really smart guy, im sure he could help you out with all of your questions

he's out..lol..

anyway...

here's a few things i'm looking at...

crossovers...

midrange/bass..

subwoofers...

along with the planars posted above...

now, with the drivers being 8ohm and the planars bieng 4ohm..the crossover is designed for 4/8 on the sub part, but is designed for 8 ohm on the mid/tweeter part, what can i expect the xover freq and slope to be? also, what will be the final load shown my reciever?

thanks guys...lol..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

i also just posted this at diyaudio, but i have to wait for moderation..lol..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

my 6" RS Daytons should arrive tuesday, i'll get a review up when they're ready

the OlogyAudio guy says the RS stuff is pretty much the best stuff for the price by far

my 6" RS Daytons should arrive tuesday, i'll get a review up when they're ready

the OlogyAudio guy says the RS stuff is pretty much the best stuff for the price by far

sweet...

i'll try to get ahold of him later...i know our steve likes his as well...

so this might just be the direction i take...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

i'm definitely going with the dayton rs mids/woofers...

now to get a crossover right...

does anyone know if the bb6p crossover designer is any good? or would the one's i posted work for now?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

tom..thanks for directing me to ologyaudio...he's being a real big help!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

tom..thanks for directing me to ologyaudio...he's being a real big help!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

np ;)

i told ya he's awesome

...also just posted this at diyaudio, but i have to wait for moderation..lol..

n00b! Don't you only need moderation for the first few posts? :D

And I'm not the one to ask about crossover design. I'm lurking the Klipsch forums trying to figure out the intricacies of the Forte II's design in case I ever want to fudge with it...but other than that, I'm more of a single-driver, no crossover kind of guy...that's why I have both kinds of speakers at home :crazy:

lo..jim...

anyway..i will probably being doing a pair of sectioned towers, with cryolite based tops for mids/highs (only sealed) with a vented bottom section to handle the lows....

ologyaudio is going to design a xo for me to use...YAY!!

we shall see if the wifey will allow the purchase..hehe

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

The crossover is THE most important part of any speaker system. You cannot just select some off-the-shelf crossover and hope to get good results. This includes textbook electrical slopes. This is because they need to be designed specifically for the speakers being used in their intended application. There is much more to a crossover than just the crossover points. There is equalization, level setting, etc. and they should take into account the natural response of the drivers as well. Designing all that into the crossover is "voicing" the speakers. You really need expensive test equipment and software to design crossovers properly.

I'd really recommend for you to look into kit speakers. They Have the crossovers already designed and include all the parts and speakers needed. All you have to do is build the cabinets and put it all together.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

The crossover is THE most important part of any speaker system.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

:WELCOME:

I was going to use the "OK, Asshat" smilie ... but refrained :lol:;)

as to the crossovers for the towers for my living room, ologyaudio has LSP Cad Pro 6, and that's what he uses in the design of his speakers/crossovers. what do you think of that program? is it accurate enough?

We use LspCad for a lot of things as it is a great program. But I believe Dan mainly prefers and uses Praxis for crossover design. I believe he also likes MLSA and Speakeasy as well, although the latter is less user friendly. I know he doesn't like Lms as it isn't as accurate and doesn't have nearly the functionality.

It's really neet to watch him do it. First he has me build test cabinets and mount the speakers. He then tests the frequency response of each speaker, and then uses the program to design a crossover to match his own response curve (this is something he and Dr. Hyre spent thousands of hours of testing and listening to come up with). He then hooks up the speakers to his computer and listens to the crossovers, using the software to simulate the new design. He can then make changes to the crossover based on available values, and tweak the sound for the clients tastes. Once we have a good sounding crossover, we order the parts, put them together, and take a listen again.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

The crossover is THE most important part of any speaker system.  You cannot just select some off-the-shelf crossover and hope to get good results.  This includes textbook electrical slopes.  This is because they need to be designed specifically for the speakers being used in their intended application.  There is much more to a crossover than just the crossover points.  There is equalization, level setting, etc. and they should take into account the natural response of the drivers as well.  Designing all that into the crossover is "voicing" the speakers.  You really need expensive test equipment and software to design crossovers properly. 

I'd really recommend for you to look into kit speakers.  They Have the crossovers already designed and include all the parts and speakers needed.  All you have to do is build the cabinets and put it all together. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

:lickscreen:

as to the crossovers for the towers for my living room, ologyaudio has LSP Cad Pro 6, and that's what he uses in the design of his speakers/crossovers. what do you think of that program? is it accurate enough?

We use LspCad for a lot of things as it is a great program. But I believe Dan mainly prefers and uses Praxis for crossover design. I believe he also likes MLSA and Speakeasy as well, although the latter is less user friendly. I know he doesn't like Lms as it isn't as accurate and doesn't have nearly the functionality.

It's really neet to watch him do it. First he has me build test cabinets and mount the speakers. He then tests the frequency response of each speaker, and then uses the program to design a crossover to match his own response curve (this is something he and Dr. Hyre spent thousands of hours of testing and listening to come up with). He then hooks up the speakers to his computer and listens to the crossovers, using the software to simulate the new design. He can then make changes to the crossover based on available values, and tweak the sound for the clients tastes. Once we have a good sounding crossover, we order the parts, put them together, and take a listen again.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

I'm with Jason on that one..that must be totally kewl! but alas, i'm not quite the audiophile you or Dan are, so that would almost just be a waste of money. yet, it would be kewl to use a program like that...

one day, when all is said and done, and i finalize my tower idea, i might just give u a holler and see what u recommend...o fcourse, all that work quoted above won't be necessary..lol..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I'm with Jason on that one..that must be totally kewl!  but alas, i'm not quite the audiophile you or Dan are, so that would almost just be a waste of money. yet, it would be kewl to use a program like that...

one day, when all is said and done, and i finalize my tower idea, i might just give u a holler and see what u recommend...o fcourse, all that work quoted above won't be necessary..lol..

I wouldn't recommend the equipment and software for the DIY'er. It is extremely expensive and difficult to learn how to use. That's why I suggested the kits to you since the design work is already done. In fact if you want some killer sounding kits for cheap, check out Exodus Audio's offerings. They are by far the best performance per dollar I've heard.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

i will for sure look into them...but i don't like kits...not really DIY to me, ya know?

which is why i didn't use a kit for my boy's bookshelves. yeah, i got kinda lucky inthe xover department, but i really enjoy the trial and error part of it all. i also love the feeling of satisfaction knowing that the reason why it sounds good is because of the work i put into it.

but i'll still look into it..lol..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: