razman

15's enclosure

Just got my 15's & building the enclosure. It's going to be a single ported box with both 15's mounted in it. Question I have is should the drivers be completely cutoff from one another via internal divider, partially divided or wide open inside? The enclosure will be either 3/4 or 1" mdf, close to 7 cubic ft if divided, and 1 slot port on each side if divided. If open would I need to cut down on size & could I use 1 slot port? I've never run duals so kind of lost on this. Appreciate any info.

in all honesty, u can go either way. of course the single, shared chamber is the easiest to build, and will help prevent tuning differences in seperate.

i'd suggest the single, shared chamber. one big slot port (at least 60in^2), about 5.5cubes, tuned about 32hz. u can tune lower if ya want, but i think anything below this and u might as well run sealed.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Thanks, that's pretty close to what I was thinking. I originally was going with 35 sq in of port per driver & was thinking around 32-35 hz so I certainly wouldn't need to go below 32. Do you suggest the 5.5 cubes because I'm going with the open box or would that be the optimum size even if going with the divided box? Also how much does input power change what the enclosure dimensions should be? I'll be running 2400W rms @ 1 ohm mono to the set so 1200 each. Mike doesn't advocate that & advises to be extremely cautious at initial setup, but hey, it'll be interesting!

Thanks, that's pretty close to what I was thinking. I originally was going with 35 sq in of port per driver & was thinking around 32-35 hz so I certainly wouldn't need to go below 32. Do you suggest the 5.5 cubes because I'm going with the open box or would that be the optimum size even if going with the divided box? Also how much does input power change what the enclosure dimensions should be? I'll be running 2400W rms @ 1 ohm mono to the set so 1200 each. Mike doesn't advocate that & advises to be extremely cautious at initial setup, but hey, it'll be interesting!

the 70in^2 of port isn't a bad idea. teh 5.5ft^3, well, i would have probably recommended something similiar even if u went seperate chambers...2.75ft^3 each...

with that much power, u could drop those dimensions to around 2.5 net per driver of 5 ft net for both. that's after port and sub displacements...

mike is conservative when it comes to recommendations. but he's never far off. 1200 per driver is right at the limit of what they will want, depending upon enclosure. so sensible use of the gains is a must.

i would keep the tuning in the 30-34hz range...personally aiming for around 32. plenty low in a car. stay above 60in^2 of port ( if u go with the smaller box, u could drop the port area a bit to help keep the length down.) watch those gains...and u should rock!

u definitely are started off in the right direction!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: