wheelconnector

SS RL-P12 D4 review

After having the sub broken in for a little more than a week, I finally decided to do this thing.

Packaging/build quality:

Came in a white box labeled 29lbs. The sub seemed to be pretty secure in the box, and they gave me two soundsplinter stickers, one of which will be the only sticker I'll ever sport on my car. The sub looks awesome. I couldn't see any part of it that worried me. There's plenty of glueing on it, but that can't hurt.

Equipment:

1 kenwood HU

set of DEI Viper 650.2 components powered by

1 DEI Viper 400.2 amp (i'm actually using an eD nine.2 temporarily)

1 SoundSplinter RL-P12 d4 powered by

1 Lanzar Vibe 1200d @ 2ohm (748wrms)

~1.00 cu ft gross box (~0.75 cu ft net)

Listening experience:

While breaking it in, I kept thinking it was done breaking in, but it just kept getting louder and louder. Now that the breaking in is done, I simply can't believe how loud this thing can get in only a ~1.00 cu ft box with 748wrms running to it. But it doesn't just get loud, it stays clean and awesomely punchy through out my whole volume range. It takes death metal and drum n bass with ease, just asking for more power. I want to give it more, but I can't, because my lights are starting to dim when the bass drops :( . Once I upgrade to a bigger box, it'll be perfect. Awesome SQ sub, IMO.

Imaging:

The sub has the same "magic" as the old eD a-series had. meaning, if you're standing just outside the car, you won't hear much of the sub, but once you stick your head in the window, you can hear it pounding away. Also, people in nearby houses or cars will hate you. :)

Pricing:

Singles go for $235, pairs for $430, not that you'd ever need more than one, but if you like your spls with a little bit of deafness, then go for it :P. I paid $266 shipped to my house.

Overall system review:

Since I'm a student, I'm on a tight budget, and so I had to make my selections carefully. I've spent a total of about $975 (i know i didn't break a grand) on my system, and it destroys many systems, SQ-wise, i've heard out there, including my friend's, on which he spent close to 2 grand on. So you can imagine how happy I am. :thumbsup:

Summary:

This sub, to me, is IDMAX meets eD a-series. It has the punchiness of the A-series, but the ability to be freakin loud, like the IDMAX. It's exactly what I wanted. After hearing this sub, I find it hard to believe that I'll buy any product from another company. As I've said in my other thread, mike is an awesome guy, so I don't mind supporting his cause :thumbsup:

5 out of 5 from me.

tried to take a pic of the excursion with a slower shutter speed, but this pic doesn't do the sub justice:

post-985-1126642914_thumb.jpg

Link to old thread, with other pictures of the sub.

sweet! glad u are liking it!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

After having the sub broken in for a little more than a week, I finally decided to do this thing.

Packaging/build quality:

Came in a white box labeled 29lbs. The sub seemed to be pretty secure in the box, and they gave me two soundsplinter stickers, one of which will be the only sticker I'll ever sport on my car. The sub looks awesome. I couldn't see any part of it that worried me. There's plenty of glueing on it, but that can't hurt.

Equipment:

1 kenwood HU

set of DEI Viper 650.2 components powered by

1 DEI Viper 400.2 amp (i'm actually using an eD nine.2 temporarily)

1 SoundSplinter RL-P12 d4 powered by

1 Lanzar Vibe 1200d @ 2ohm (748wrms)

~1.00 cu ft gross box (~0.75 cu ft net)

Listening experience:

While breaking it in, I kept thinking it was done breaking in, but it just kept getting louder and louder. Now that the breaking in is done, I simply can't believe how loud this thing can get in only a ~1.00 cu ft box with 748wrms running to it. But it doesn't just get loud, it stays clean and awesomely punchy through out my whole volume range. It takes death metal and drum n bass with ease, just asking for more power. I want to give it more, but I can't, because my lights are starting to dim when the bass drops :( . Once I upgrade to a bigger box, it'll be perfect. Awesome SQ sub, IMO.

Imaging:

The sub has the same "magic" as the old eD a-series had. meaning, if you're standing just outside the car, you won't hear much of the sub, but once you stick your head in the window, you can hear it pounding away. Also, people in nearby houses or cars will hate you. :)

Pricing:

Singles go for $235, pairs for $430, not that you'd ever need more than one, but if you like your spls with a little bit of deafness, then go for it :P. I paid $266 shipped to my house.

Overall system review:

Since I'm a student, I'm on a tight budget, and so I had to make my selections carefully. I've spent a total of about $975 (i know i didn't break a grand) on my system, and it destroys many systems, SQ-wise, i've heard out there, including my friend's, on which he spent close to 2 grand on. So you can imagine how happy I am.

I found the IDmax has more grunt in lower frequency, but RL-p sounded sweeter and smoother.

great review!!!!!