warock56

Help choosing a sub

Friend is selling me 2 10" Jlw6 for 50 bucks, I dont think itl be my permanent system but for 50 bucks what do you guys think. Their 2 10 sealed my friend is selling his car and buying a small car for racing and doesnt want it.

Edit: I mean the worst that could happen I could just sell them again

Edited by SomeFiGuy

Ok cool my amp only has a lp filter though

I looked up the specs. It seems you have an infrasonic switch, which is a highpass at 28hz. If that's on, try turning it off and see what it sounds like.

Friend is selling me 2 10" Jlw6 for 50 bucks, I dont think itl be my permanent system but for 50 bucks what do you guys think. Their 2 10 sealed my friend is selling his car and buying a small car for racing and doesnt want it.

That seems like a very good price. Worth a shot.

That seems like a very good price. Worth a shot.

Its in a sealed box but if they were ported what would you think of the bass? Never really heard 10s hitting low, or at all...

And both I think would be like 600 rms though I think

Edited by SomeFiGuy

They are dual 6 ohm how could I wire them to my amp @ 2 ohms to give them 500 rms?

I was looking at the jl site and I could wire them to get a 1.5 ohm would my amp be able to handle that?

Connecting the voice coils of each driver in parallel (+ to +, - to -) and the drivers themselves in parallel (+ to +, etc.) will result in the following impedances:

Dual-6 Ohm Subwoofers: 1.5 Ohms

Dual-4 Ohm Subwoofers: 1 Ohm

Dual-2 Ohm Subwoofers: 0.5 Ohm

Dual-1.5 Ohm Subwoofer: 0.38 Ohms

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/graphics/Support/Tutorials/wiring_images/DVC_Parallel_2.gif

Edited by SomeFiGuy

I think the JL's can because they have regulated power supplies so they do the same power from 1.5 ohms to 4 ohms if I'm right.

They are dual 6 ohm how could I wire them to my amp @ 2 ohms to give them 500 rms?

I was looking at the jl site and I could wire them to get a 1.5 ohm would my amp be able to handle that?

Connecting the voice coils of each driver in parallel (+ to +, - to -) and the drivers themselves in parallel (+ to +, etc.) will result in the following impedances:

Dual-6 Ohm Subwoofers: 1.5 Ohms

Dual-4 Ohm Subwoofers: 1 Ohm

Dual-2 Ohm Subwoofers: 0.5 Ohm

Dual-1.5 Ohm Subwoofer: 0.38 Ohms

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/graphics/Support/Tutorials/wiring_images/DVC_Parallel_2.gif

Your amp is rated at 1000wrms at 1 ohm, right? Amps can always handle higher impedance loads, but not lower. Assuming your amp is 1 ohm stable (I don't feel like checking), then 1.5ohm final load would be fine. Just wouldn't get the full power from the amp.

Hey guys quick question...

Ok this is the Power HX2 Box Dimmension List watcha-ma-call-it

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/enclosure/2001_PowerHX2enclosures.pdf

I was reading through it yesterday but I guess I read it wrong

Ok heres what I did:

Scroll to bottom to 15"

First one on reccomended: 3.5ft^3, 36in^2 port, and 17.5in long port

OKAY! This is what I understood the first time, the port had to be 36 sq in which I still think is right, but I though it had to be 17.5in long in HEIGHT! wayyy to big for my trunk!

Now after I read it again for longer than 20 seconds I think! that the 17.5 inches means going INTO the box, not the outside height, once again I just think!

Heres a quick sketch I did

daaf3d86800155.jpg

Now if this (AFTER which is a top view btw) is the case I could probably port the box to 35Hz and still have a max height of 16.5 inches right?

EDIt: no wait i think theres a flaw in my theory there lol

Edit: ok I have gone blank right now... Can I make the port a little smaller in height and wider and still have the box tuned at 35 hz? or does it need to be really skinny and big?

Edited by SomeFiGuy

I cant edit my post after a certain amount of time so just something else, if I do port the 15" to 35Hz would I need a subsonic filter? where can I get one for not too much? and what should I set it too?

Edit: ok reading about amp

This site says says "You can tailor the sound with variable-frequency low-pass and subsonic filters"

doesnt say that it has one but Im not sure

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Rux7WxTtAeW/p_57510001BD/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-P1000-1bd.html

now this is a picture of the back of the amp and something says infrasonic filter (on or off)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictures_new.php?id=9850&picture_id=365733

from this website

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9850_Rockford+Fosgate+Punch+P1000-1bd.html

is the filter just something thats on/off or does this just mean that I can connect an aftermarket subsonic filter?

Edited by SomeFiGuy

I cant edit my post after a certain amount of time so just something else, if I do port the 15" to 35Hz would I need a subsonic filter? where can I get one for not too much? and what should I set it too?

This site says says "You can tailor the sound with variable-frequency low-pass and subsonic filters"

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Rux7WxTtAeW/p_57510001BD/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-P1000-1bd.html

now this is a picture of the back of the amp and something says infrasonic filter (on or off)

Rockford Fosgate Punch P1000-1bd

from this website

Rockford Fosgate P1000-1bd - Monoblock Car Amplifier, Power Amp - Sonic Electronix

is the filter just something thats on/off or does this just mean that I can connect an aftermarket subsonic filter?

I said it further up, but you must've missed it. Your infrasonic filter is a subsonic filter, but its not variable. It's set at 28hz. I would turn it on when you use a ported box. as far as port area, you need to equal 36 square inches. That means any combo of the port opening's height and width multiplied together must equal 36. The 17.5 means thats how long the port is. That is what you change to change the tuning. Download bassbox pro 6 on torrents. It really helps with designing a box and understanding what to do.

Rockford Fosgate Punch P1000-1bd

from this website

Rockford Fosgate P1000-1bd - Monoblock Car Amplifier, Power Amp - Sonic Electronix

I said it further up, but you must've missed it. Your infrasonic filter is a subsonic filter, but its not variable. It's set at 28hz. I would turn it on when you use a ported box. as far as port area, you need to equal 36 square inches. That means any combo of the port opening's height and width multiplied together must equal 36. The 17.5 means thats how long the port is. That is what you change to change the tuning. Download bassbox pro 6 on torrents. It really helps with designing a box and understanding what to do.

Ok man thanks thats just what I wanted to know. I was out measuring the space I have for a box, and my maximum area is 16Hx30WxL(which is whatever I need to make it 3.5 cubic after subwoofer displacement) let me ask one more thing, which I could ask at the shop but just to go with some knowledge there, does the 3.5cubic feet include the port?

OK trying to figure out the dimmensions, I read the bottom and "NOTE: The listed enclosure volumes are net, displacement for speaker and port must be added." so I have to have 3.5 cu ft + speaker cu ft and port cu ft

edit: Im having a hard time figuring out the cubic feet of the sub and port

Edited by SomeFiGuy

I cant figure out subwoofer displacement, can anyone sort of give me a ballpark for this or how to figure it out? its 15"

Ok I used some program there what do you guys think. will this work?

06395d86827106.jpg

Its 3.711 ft^3 and the port 17.5 inches but without taking the subwoofer displacement out I would imagine so if wubwoofer is somewhere around .2 ft^3 it would be a perfect 3.5 if not then the box can be tweaked easily.

If you have something else you recommend me to do here is the website

RE Enclosure Calculator

Edited by SomeFiGuy

Im probably going to go with the Fi ssd subwoofer I called my local shop and they said they can get it for around 180 bucks. Said I wouldnt be overpowering it with my P1000-1 amp.

Now what would be the ideal dimmensions for this sub ported? how many cubic feet to tune it to 32 or 33 Hz? because in the website it says 1.8-2.5 cuft @ 33Hz so Im not sure.

Edited by SomeFiGuy

Guys out of the SSD12 and the Q12, will I be able to wire both of these subs at 1 ohm to get the most out of my amp?

And which one would hit lower SSD or Q, I just decided if the Q is going to be a little better than I will just save up some more and go with that.

Edited by SomeFiGuy

Im probably going to go with the Fi ssd subwoofer I called my local shop and they said they can get it for around 180 bucks. Said I wouldnt be overpowering it with my P1000-1 amp.Now what would be the ideal dimmensions for this sub ported? how many cubic feet to tune it to 32 or 33 Hz? because in the website it says 1.8-2.5 cuft @ 33Hz so Im not sure.

You do know that Fi has a website that you can buy direct from. They also don't have dealers. AA is the dealer side.

Guys out of the SSD12 and the Q12, will I be able to wire both of these subs at 1 ohm to get the most out of my amp?And which one would hit lower SSD or Q, I just decided if the Q is going to be a little better than I will just save up some more and go with that.

You can wire either one to 1 ohm. It depends on the coil configuration you get. You want to get dual 2 ohms to wire a 1 of the to 1 ohm.

What do you think will give me deeper bass SSS or q? And what options if any should I get.

Edited by SomeFiGuy

dependent on your box but both should be able to get down low. The Q is designed to do it easier though. It's up to you.

Straight going with the q then I don't think I AM A have to upgrade for a long while and also what would be the specs for the box to tune it to 32 hz? How many cubic ft and port dimensions?

does anybody know anything about bravox subwoofers? any good? any reviews, opinions?

Reason I am asking is some guy might trade his 2 12" Bravox EDX 12D4 subwoofers for my subs, he told me they are around 900 or 1000 RMS, says they are a different model than the one online now. What do you guys think?

Edited by SomeFiGuy