SentraGuy

Fi BL 12 help. (Vid)

Have you tried a different input signal to the amp, say an ipod or mp3 player straight to the amp?

iPod straight to the amp?

How would you do that?

Unplug the RCA's from the amp, use a 3.5mm to RCA plug (Walmart,Radio Shack,etc) to plug mp3 player or ipod to amp. This will be your new signal path, bypassing your factory radio and RCAs, if you still have the same problem after testing this, your problem lies in speaker wiring or amp problem.

Unplug the RCA's from the amp, use a 3.5mm to RCA plug (Walmart,Radio Shack,etc) to plug mp3 player or ipod to amp. This will be your new signal path, bypassing your factory radio and RCAs, if you still have the same problem after testing this, your problem lies in speaker wiring or amp problem.

Interesting. Never heard of doing that.

I will try it out.

But then none of the other speakers will play anything, right? Just the sub?

If you're using the ipod to test your sub amp, then yes, only your sub will play.

Hook up the ipod to the amp with the cable I described, turn your factory radio on (volume all the way down, we're not testing factory speakers) so your sub amp will come on, and use volume knob on your ipod to see if output of sub changes. If it sounds noticably louder/better, then you have a bad/miswired LOC or bad RCAS.

If you're using the ipod to test your sub amp, then yes, only your sub will play.

Hook up the ipod to the amp with the cable I described, turn your factory radio on (volume all the way down, we're not testing factory speakers) so your sub amp will come on, and use volume knob on your ipod to see if output of sub changes. If it sounds noticably louder/better, then you have a bad/miswired LOC or bad RCAS.

Sounds like a plan.

I think I'll head to Radioshack tomorrow.

Thanks a lot.

Tomorrow?.........What's wrong today? :drink40: Run to Walmart and get that cable, and test that biotch, you might not feel like messin with it tomorrow. LOL

Tomorrow?.........What's wrong today? :drink40: Run to Walmart and get that cable, and test that biotch, you might not feel like messin with it tomorrow. LOL

Nearest walmart is 25-30 min.

And Radioshack is probably closed :suicide-santa:

Now that's what I'm talking about! :woot:

Don't replace that headunit yet......If it's just bad RCA's that's an easy fix, I've heard of some good sounding setups with just a LOC and the factory deck.

Now that's what I'm talking about! :woot:

Don't replace that headunit yet......If it's just bad RCA's that's an easy fix, I've heard of some good sounding setups with just a LOC and the factory deck.

Okay, went out and bought the cable.

Now when testing the amp/voltage with the ipod connected, do I turn the volume on the ipod to about 3/4 (what the hu would be at) or do I turn the ipod all the way up?

Start with the iPod at 25%, and work your way up from there. If you get to 75% volume and still have no usable output form the sub we've established that the stock HU, RCA's, and LOC are still good.

Start with the iPod at 25%, and work your way up from there. If you get to 75% volume and still have no usable output form the sub we've established that the stock HU, RCA's, and LOC are still good.

At about 75% volume, I tested the voltage coming out of the speaker terminals on the amp.

The number I was shooting for was 34 volts (using the volts=sqrt(watts X ohm) formula). Even with the gains maxed the highest I could get was about 21 volts.

Although with the ipod maxed 34 volts was EASILY reached (gains at about 1/4)

Not sure what this means as I was able to achieve 34 volts using the LOC with hu volume at about 75%

is the sub louder with the ipod?

Well I'm not exactly sure how to compare them.

Should I leave my gains how they were with the LOC?

leave it the same

I'll have to try it tomorrow, I don't think sleeping neighbors will be too happy if I tried now.

Do I

1. play a tone with the LOC connected and turn the hu to 3/4. Then,

2. Unplug LOC RCAs and plug in the iPod RCAs and turn ipod to about 3/4 and play same tone. Then,

3. Note any difference?

u can do that, you can even play a song if you want the amp has its own crossovers. the other thing to look at is that the stock HU or stock amp may have its own LP and HP settings. there are some head units that turn the bass down as you turn the system up to keep the stock speakers from sounding like crap.

No readjust the gains for the iPod, and tell us if there is a difference.

You ALWAYS readjust the gains when you change the source.

No readjust the gains for the iPod, and tell us if there is a difference.

You ALWAYS readjust the gains when you change the source.

That's what I was thinking.

Thing is, with the iPod volume at 3/4, I can't get the voltage coming out of the speaker terminals to get near 34. Highest it gets is like 22 volts with gain maxed.

The the volume on the iPod higher then, until you achieve 34 volts, then leave the iPod connected, wire up your subwooder terminals and play music on the iPod, tell us if the sub has more output after that.

The the volume on the iPod higher then, until you achieve 34 volts, then leave the iPod connected, wire up your subwooder terminals and play music on the iPod, tell us if the sub has more output after that.

Just got finished testing, I don't know what I was doing earlier but I was able to achieve 34 volts with the iPod at 3/4, hooked up the speaker wire, and wowwww. Much, much louder. I think I will go make a video on a few minutes.

Does this mean possible bad LOC or RCAs?

yeah.....Bad LOC or RCA's try with a different pair or if you want get one of these if you want to keep stock radio.These