Nubster

SA-12 D2 at 1ohm?

I have the chance to grab a NIB SA-12 D2 for a decent price. I want to run a single sub in my Jeep. The amp I am going to be using for now is the Audiopipe AP-1000D. I want to run more then 300w to the sub but that is all the amp is rated for at 4ohm but if I run the sub/amp at 1ohm I can get 1000w. Is this ok to do with this sub/amp pairing? If not I'll get a D4 and run it at 2ohm and 700w.

As far as the box...I am thinking about doing a sealed box. My plans for the system are SQ and I would also like to save some cargo space by doing a sealed box. Other than ensuring the airspace is correct...is there any affect on the sound/performance related to the shape of the box? I was thinking of doing a wedge shaped box to follow the angle of the back of the rear seat with the flat facing the rear hatch. But that depends on the answer to my next question.

Next question...should the subs fire up, to the rear at the hatch and if so straight into it or angled up to reflect off the glass, or into the rear seat? I would prefer firing them at the hatch that way I can make a box that will not take up as much of the cargo area but if the sound quality is significant I'll do what needs to be done.

Thanks for putting up with all my newb questions....I've been gone from car audio for many years (12+ years) so it is all new to me again.

Edited by Nubster

Whether or not the sub will last with 1k of power will all be install and user dependent. Which means if it's installed correctly, gains set correctly, and you have respect for the volume knob you're not going to instantly destroy it or anything. 1k is almost double the rated power, but a responsible person could easily get by alright. The fact that you're considering using a sealed enclosure will help with the power handling ability of the sub as well. If you're looking for more quality than output then going sealed with 1k is the way to go IMO.

On the second question, I assume this is a trunk car? Most setups in trunk cars are easier to work with and sound just fine with the sub firing toward the rear of the car from just behind the back of the seat. However, if you wanted to go through the trouble of building a box and sealing to the back of the back seat firing into the cabin you can generally get more output into the car and not have to worry as much about rattling of panels in the trunk, the trunk lid, tail lights, plates etc. Just depends on your installation experience and how much work you'd like to put into the car.

If you want to run a sealed enclosure, you'd be better off looking for a sub designed for optimum performance in that type of enclosure.....which the SA-12 wasn't designed for.

SA-12 has a low EBP, it was designed for optimum performance in a ported enclosure.

The vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee so I have lots of room for a box...I just don't want to use it all. A ported box may very well work...I just need to play with some dimensions to see if I can get a box to work within the area of the cargo bay that I want to use up.

If the SA-12 ends up not being the best for my application...could you recommend some subs that might be better?

DO NOT run a SA-12 sealed they don't sound bad but ported and sealed is a worlds difference.

Well...it looks like a 1.94 cf wedge will fit perfect in the space I wanted to use to with room to spare for amps. That will give me 1.80 cf of air space after factoring in displacement of the sub. Now to some other questions...again...sorry for being such a newb.

How well would a rear firing enclosure work in the back of an SUV? If top firing is better, how much better? Enough to not consider the rear firing setup?

Placement of the sub in the cargo area...does it matter? Does it matter if the sub is centered in the back or off to one side or the other? I have never played with car audio in an SUV and never with a single sub so this is all a new learning and re-learning experience. Thanks for all the help so far.

Edited by Nubster

The sa12 requires a relatively small ported enclosure, so your in luck :P

Down firing vs ever other combination design and placement is different for every vehicle, only trial and error will tell you what's best in the end.

Personally If downfiring works best for your space and storage area then just go that route, just make sure you give the driver enough space to unload and not hit the floor, I would at least 3" but preferably more like 4" or 5", hopefully someone else can chime in about the space.

My new build is actually going to be four sa12s down firing in a jeep wrangler, down firing works best for my goals, getting loud and being able to store stuff on top of the box. Now flipping the box over and up firing may yield a lot more output, but I'll sacrifice that unknown for the sake of storage.

:dancing:

I don't plan to down fire. I was looking at fire up at the roof or firing back towards the hatch as my options.

I don't plan to down fire. I was looking at fire up at the roof or firing back towards the hatch as my options.

Usually subs up port back will have more output in a hatchback style vehicle but really no one will know until you try it in your car or unless someone here has the same exact setup and car that can give you input. I don't think there will be a night and day difference with this type of setup though. I would make a box that is best fit for your space since you would like to keep most of it from what it sounds like.

If I did do a rear firing enclosure...where would I want the ports?

rear firing also

edit: (this thread seems like it should be in the fabrication/sq/spl category :ehh: )

Edited by xAndrewx

haha...it does now...but the original question that lead to all of this was about the SA-12 running at 1ohm/1000w RMS. The box stuff is just the progression of that original question.

in my old jeep i had great luck with sub up, you may try sub up port back or sub / port up.