extreme shock

Need somebody's else help?

I would like to know something. I just sold my Alpine Type-R 12's and I think I'm buy some FI SSD's but I need some help with the options. I'm going with dual 2 ohms, with the BP power, what I need help with is what coil to go with I was thinking just staying with the copper coil, but don't know if the flatwind would be better. I'm running the Alpine MRD-m1005.

Edited by woo

Might as well get the flat wind can't hurt.

Do you know which coil configuration to get to wire the subs at 4 ohm or 2 ohm on that amp? For just that amp, even with one SSD, you can stay with the copper coils. It will be fine. Are you getting two or one SSD?

Do you know which coil configuration to get to wire the subs at 4 ohm or 2 ohm on that amp? For just that amp, even with one SSD, you can stay with the copper coils. It will be fine. Are you getting two or one SSD?

Im getting two SSD's I would rather run them in 4 ohms just to run the amp a little cooler. Do you think that amp would be enough to power two of them?

Really, I'd get dual 1 ohms so you can wire down to 1 ohm later when you want to upgrade to more power. With dual 1s on each sub, you can wire them to 4 ohms right now with that amp. Its cheaper and easier to get amps that do full power at 1 ohm then at 2 ohms. How they behave with that 700 watts will depend on your box. I've had as much as 300 watts on an SSD to 1500 watts on one.

What's your goal for this system?

This system is more of good SQ I want it to hit hard but sound real good. In my other car I running SPL subs, I have 2 Brahma MKII's each powered by JBL BP1200.1.

:WTFBubble: I thought the Mkii were SQ subs because of xBL^2 tech. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I guess you really consider them to be SQ subs also. But the Shop I got them from a while ago said they could be use as some spl subs also depending on the install.

Technically, any sub can be used for SPL depending on install and box.

Technically, any sub can be used for SPL depending on install and box.

True. Since Adire Audio is gone, everybody else said the way to go is FI Audio. So I decided to go for SSD's after reading some reviews, I know the Q's are a hella of a sub also but I hear the SSD's is pretty good bang for the buck. But I couldn't decide on the coil and would I really hear the difference in between the flatwind vs copper

It really depends on how well trained your ears are. Most people say they want SQ and they really don't know anything about SQ or even care about it in the end.

It really depends on how well trained your ears are. Most people say they want SQ and they really don't know anything about SQ or even care about it in the end.

Which one would you go with

Well, you said you wanted SQ so to save money and stick with the goal, just stay with copper coils because they are standard.

Brahma MkII were designed for sound quality with some output. The Achilles heal of those subs is the coil... or lack of a substantial one. While Adire called them 1600, I call that coil 600-800 with the DAF applied (which is how we rate all subs). The comparable sub for the time was the RE XXX, and it was also rated at 1600W (by me) and had significantly more coil in it than the Brahma. Very linear sub, but lacking suspension and thermal ability by todays standards. In having built all the Mk1 and Mk2 Brahmas (Kodas, and Tumults, and other variants for Adire) there isnt too much that can be done coil and thermal wise to the sub to beef it up. We do offer an extra spider, but beyond that they dont have enough motor force to support much more. With XBL coil height is critical. Go any longer and it has double BL at rest and then switches to standard BL one coil is in only one gap. Issue is, it kills the flat BL curve and makes an even larger distortion shift.

Thanks,

Scott

Overhung coils correct?

Guess I'll add to his question and ask if the flatwind increases the linear size of coil(greater xmax), the thickness of coil, or what? That's about only thing that bothers me, except the BP option. What actually happens during the BP upgrade?(increased cooling? rms increase i do know, but what physically gets changed?)

High xmax increases wind height of the coil, the BP option is a machined plug that blocks the pole vent, channeling air around the coil. Thermal power handling increases due to the forced cooling, mechanical power handling remains enclosure dependent.

High xmax increases wind height of the coil, the BP option is a machined plug that blocks the pole vent, channeling air around the coil. Thermal power handling increases due to the forced cooling, mechanical power handling remains enclosure dependent.

Oh I see, so the BP increases the cooling so you can run more wattage and keep the same temp at the higher wattage that the BP-less wattage would be running at. Nice upgrade there.

When you said the "High xmax", were you referring to the "flatwind coil" or an actual "xmax" upgrade? Oh nevermind, I see where you said it increases the wind height of the coil, so in turn, yes that actually increases the xmax. Thanks.