Sign in to follow this  
1ndatrunk

Real difference in sound question

I was considering a trade for 2 BTL 15s ( Single slug, spaceship motor), but the subs only have the cooling option. I am going from 4 SA-12s, and I like my lows. I'm powering them with 2 Audiopipe AP3ks. I was gonna run them in 3.5 per (7net), and tune between 30-33hz. I listen to alot of rap, low bass music, and I really want to be able to play in the high 20s/low 30s with authority. With just cooling, will these 15s be able to produce like I want them to? I'm only getting rid of the SAs to do a forward firing/sealed off setup, and I can't get 4 12s to fit in a blowthrough. I also wanted to see what FI was all about

Thanks for any help

The sub itself has nothing to do with the response, its all in your box design and airspace and tuning.

Even if it has cooling it will have the P-Chamfeur. It'll be a FL BTL.

Naturally the BTLs are pretty neutral sounding driver at low volumes, cold and thin. Turn it up and its a different story. Thats just the general tonality of the driver.. I prefer them in larger boxs, dont like 'forcing' it to do the lows in strangled tiny enclosures. It requires alot more delicacy in setup. 4.5 cubes net tuned to 28Hz will be a total beast on the lows, and still slap like crazy on the uppers. Thats my personal sweet spot for a BTL15". Smaller just tightens in up and makes it sound harsh and aggressive. Cant comment on the SA drivers as i've never heard them.

3.5 cubes will work fine with 3k a piece, just keep an eye on the subsonic filter and of course your voltage. And if you dont plan on attending any sound offs and just want to murder the lows tune from 28-30hz..

Thats why I love my SSD's- they sound great at any volume or with any type of music. They murder the low notes tuned to 26. Though I have noticed that different amps affect that slightly.

Sign in to follow this