Ballentine_9

Need help building a ported box!

Ive got (2) Kicker CVR Aluminized 12"s in a sealed box at the moment. I'm looking to build a ported box for them. Very little space in my trunk though, after replacing the POS factory Bose 6x9s. They hang down a little lower than expected, and also to note my torsion bar broke off the spot weld. I need some box dimensions along with ports and what not. I have a width=35" height=15". Can anyone help me please?

It will be in a 2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S and Im going for http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2477/1341/6190670138_large.jpg this kind of look.

Edited by Ballentine_9

Ive got (2) Kicker CVR Aluminized 12"s in a sealed box at the moment. I'm looking to build a ported box for them. Very little space in my trunk though, after replacing the POS factory Bose 6x9s. They hang down a little lower than expected, and also to note my torsion bar broke off the spot weld. I need some box dimensions along with ports and what not. I have a width=35" height=15". Can anyone help me please?

It will be in a 2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S and Im going for http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2477/1341/6190670138_large.jpg this kind of look.

Umm fix your broken bar?

Depth?

Pictures?

What type of tuning are you going for? What type of music do you listen to?

Umm fix your broken bar?

Depth?

Pictures?

Yeah its in the process of being welded back on. Not sure of the depth, would it really matter? Just dont want it taking up my whole trunk. Pictures of what? and I listen to rap,hip hop, rock. Anything and everything brotha.

Umm fix your broken bar?

Depth?

Pictures?

Yeah its in the process of being welded back on. Not sure of the depth, would it really matter? Just dont want it taking up my whole trunk. Pictures of what? and I listen to rap,hip hop, rock. Anything and everything brotha.

Kinda tricky making a box with only two dimensions... You say you don't want it taking up your whole trunk, but we don't know your trunk's depth so how are we supposed to know how much space the box will take up?

Help us help you. Give us your trunks depth and the max depth your willing to use for a box.

Also what's the dimensions on the openings of your trunk? Don't wanna make a box too big and not be able to fit it in, unless your willing to build it in your trunk...

Since you don't sound like your competing and this is your daily driver, I would personally tune ~33hz.

-Stefan

Umm fix your broken bar?

Depth?

Pictures?

Kinda tricky making a box with only two dimensions... You say you don't want it taking up your whole trunk, but we don't know your trunk's depth so how are we supposed to know how much space the box will take up?

Help us help you. Give us your trunks depth and the max depth your willing to use for a box.

Also what's the dimensions on the openings of your trunk? Don't wanna make a box too big and not be able to fit it in, unless your willing to build it in your trunk...

Since you don't sound like your competing and this is your daily driver, I would personally tune ~33hz.

-Stefan

Alright, my box i had in before (completely sealed) was 16" in height. I wanna lower it a little because my previous box put pressure on my torsion bar, and broke it off the weld. Anyways, maybe 15" in height, 35" wide and possibly around 18" or a little more in depth. Would that work? I just dont wanna break the torsion bar off weld again. Nah im not competing. just a daily driver.

Umm fix your broken bar?

Depth?

Pictures?

-Stefan

Alright, my box i had in before (completely sealed) was 16" in height. I wanna lower it a little because my previous box put pressure on my torsion bar, and broke it off the weld. Anyways, maybe 15" in height, 35" wide and possibly around 18" or a little more in depth. Would that work? I just dont wanna break the torsion bar off weld again. Nah im not competing. just a daily driver.

How did your box put pressure on your torsion bar for your suspension and break it? :WTFBubble:

15" height, 35" width, 19" depth would give you 4.58cubes gross. After driver, bracing, and port displacement you'll be on the higher side of the recommended volume requirements (which will be good).

Umm fix your broken bar?

Depth?

Pictures?

-Stefan

How did your box put pressure on your torsion bar for your suspension and break it? :WTFBubble:

15" height, 35" width, 19" depth would give you 4.58cubes gross. After driver, bracing, and port displacement you'll be on the higher side of the recommended volume requirements (which will be good).

its an acura for ya. when you shut the trunk the torsion bar lowers to secure the latch when it shuts. and when i shut it after placing my previous box in there( where it was too tall) the bar had no room to come down and popped it off weld.

iight cool so if i do 19" depth, I should be good to go? and itlll still sound nice? also how big do my ports need to be and building it, I have no clue where to start? maybe a blueprint of what to do?

http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/files/2010%20CompVR%20f01.pdf

a good place to start thinking about a ported box design in my opinion would be to look at the recommended enclosure from kicker on your particular subs. I think that the link above is for your subs. if you were doing two subs versus one you would double the measurements.

just my .02 unless someone on the forum is willing to design a box for you :ughdunno:

Umm fix your broken bar?

Depth?

Pictures?

-Stefan

its an acura for ya. when you shut the trunk the torsion bar lowers to secure the latch when it shuts. and when i shut it after placing my previous box in there( where it was too tall) the bar had no room to come down and popped it off weld.

iight cool so if i do 19" depth, I should be good to go? and itlll still sound nice? also how big do my ports need to be and building it, I have no clue where to start? maybe a blueprint of what to do?

ahh okay :P

Yeah 19" in depth should be good, your net volume will be perfect. 33hz would be good for daily. Do you want to do a slot port or aero ports (circular pvc ports)?

Umm fix your broken bar?

Depth?

Pictures?

-Stefan

Yeah 19" in depth should be good, your net volume will be perfect. 33hz would be good for daily. Do you want to do a slot port or aero ports (circular pvc ports)?

Ive got plenty of PVC lying around, but was thinking about doing a ported. Could I just leave the port the way its made with the wood or do you have to buy an actual port to insert?

Umm fix your broken bar?

Depth?

Pictures?

-Stefan

Ive got plenty of PVC lying around, but was thinking about doing a ported. Could I just leave the port the way its made with the wood or do you have to buy an actual port to insert?

SLOT*

a good place to start thinking about a ported box design in my opinion would be to look at the recommended enclosure from kicker on your particular subs. I think that the link above is for your subs. if you were doing two subs versus one you would double the measurements.

just my .02 unless someone on the forum is willing to design a box for you :ughdunno:

Yes FunBogie, Ive looked at the recommended enclosure. I know what design Im looking for. My forum states that I have limited room due to replacing my shitty BOSE factory 6x9's they hang lower than expected. Also to note, my torsion bar is broke off weld from my previous box being too tall. I have to limit the height in order not to interfere with those. Would it work the same lowering the box and going deeper?

Yes FunBogie, Ive looked at the recommended enclosure. I know what design Im looking for. My forum states that I have limited room due to replacing my shitty BOSE factory 6x9's they hang lower than expected. Also to note, my torsion bar is broke off weld from my previous box being too tall. I have to limit the height in order not to interfere with those. Would it work the same lowering the box and going deeper?

Yes it would work. When you decrease the height dimension, you will increase the depth or width dimension to maintain the same internal volume. Does that make sense? This might make it easier because it has already calculated the port area for you and the exact recommended interior volume for your particular subwoofer. Just play with the recommended design dimensions until it works for you and has the same internal volume and port area.

http://www.kicker.co...ompVR%20f01.pdf

Yes it would work. When you decrease the height dimension, you will increase the depth or width dimension to maintain the same internal volume. Does that make sense? This might make it easier because it has already calculated the port area for you and the exact recommended interior volume for your particular subwoofer. Just play with the recommended design dimensions until it works for you and has the same internal volume and port area.

I wouldn't use their box recommendations. The "SQ" box is tuned to 40hz and the "SPL" box is tuned to 44hz. :(

I wouldn't use their box recommendations. The "SQ" box is tuned to 40hz and the "SPL" box is tuned to 44hz. :(

I will have to admit that i did not pay attention to what the boxes were tuned to. I completely agree with Bromo above. Sorry to lead you down the wrong path.

Slotted port is using wood to make the port. Or aeroports. Both ways are "ported"

Slotted port is using wood to make the port. Or aeroports. Both ways are "ported"

oh iight. how would i go about making the box with the slot port? just do like a L shape with the wood or could i do 2 slot ports right in the middle using 2 pieces of wood leading to each speaker chamber?

oh iight. how would i go about making the box with the slot port? just do like a L shape with the wood or could i do 2 slot ports right in the middle using 2 pieces of wood leading to each speaker chamber?

You can certainly put the port in center and do as your saying but I'm not sure how you calculate the port length. I'm guessing you would add up the sides but not really sure to be honest.

As for the "L" shaped port, that's pretty straight forward. Distances between enclosure panels and port piece would be port width and height. Port length would be the length of the "L"

If you ask nicely Bromo may be able to make you a simple spreadsheet image of the port dimensions and cut outs

Hey man, ive been working of trying to figure this stuff out for almost a week now. Think maybe you could sketch me out a blueprint or something? That would be amazing! and how to do the port.