Sign in to follow this  
mlbman216

Fi 15" Q vs. SSD

I drive a Scion Tc and am in the market to get a new stereo set up in my car. My good friend has a 15" SSD in his Civic Si and I've always liked the way it sounds, but I've also been interested in the 15" Q. I really don't want to give up my back seats or my complete trunk space, so I think I'm going for a sealed box. I really don't know all that much about the technical end of subs and car audio, so I'm just looking for your opinions here. I'm thinking about a 1200w amp as well. Also, I listen to a lot of heavier music (metalcore, metal, post-hardcore), electronic/dubstep stuff, and rap while in the car.

Thank you!

Well if your getting a 1200w amp then get the Q. Also since you said you like that kind of music I think the Q would keep up with the kick drum bass and fast bass beats in electronic songs. That is what I heard from reviews at least. Also, since you said you didnt want to take up your whole trunk, a ported 12 could be louder than a sealed 15.

Well if your getting a 1200w amp then get the Q. Also since you said you like that kind of music I think the Q would keep up with the kick drum bass and fast bass beats in electronic songs. That is what I heard from reviews at least. Also, since you said you didnt want to take up your whole trunk, a ported 12 could be louder than a sealed 15.

Thank you! Also, would a sealed 15 have better quality then a loud ported 12? I know a sealed 15 is still gonna be loud especially since the Scion doesn't have a real separation between the back seats and the trunk space.

Low tuned ported 12 would sound great...

I prefer the sound of low tuned ported boxes myself, daily that is.

Alright, well I guess I need to understand ported vs. sealed better. From what I've heard, ported=louder and sealed=better quality. This right?

x2

Alright, well I guess I need to understand ported vs. sealed better. From what I've heard, ported=louder and sealed=better quality. This right?

You can have a sound quality based ported setup. But generally that is correct. Sealed is said to give more accurate or "punchy" bass while ported will be a lot louder in most cases.

My opinion for you is to get a 12" Q with the Extra spider and cooling options, port it in say a 2.5ft^3 and tuned at 30-32hz.

With the Q you can put it in both sealed and ported boxes so you can throw it in a ported box then builed a sealed box and see which one you like better.

x2

You can have a sound quality based ported setup. But generally that is correct. Sealed is said to give more accurate or "punchy" bass while ported will be a lot louder in most cases.

My opinion for you is to get a 12" Q with the Extra spider and cooling options, port it in say a 2.5ft^3 and tuned at 30-32hz.

With the Q you can put it in both sealed and ported boxes so you can throw it in a ported box then builed a sealed box and see which one you like better.

When you say "With the Q you can put it in both sealed and ported boxes so you can throw it in a ported box then builed a sealed box and see which one you like better" how should I order my Q if I want to test out some enclosures? The Q has so many options that are specifically designed for certain elclosures. I want to go ported on mine but because I cant seem to find the right ported enclosure without it costing over 200+ just for a box, im running out of ideas.

Rather than spending a ridiculous amount of money on a ported box, try and build one yourself. One sheet of 3/4 inch mdf will cost you around 40 bucks and there are many designs you can find free online. The Q12 should be ported in a box between 1.8-2.5 cu ft so search around and see what you can find.

What is your idea of low tuned ported box, 27-29 or 30-32 or lower?

Rather than spending a ridiculous amount of money on a ported box, try and build one yourself. One sheet of 3/4 inch mdf will cost you around 40 bucks and there are many designs you can find free online. The Q12 should be ported in a box between 1.8-2.5 cu ft so search around and see what you can find.

ok thanks. I just was scared of trying it out since i didnt really know what I was doing. But what do you guys normally glue the boxes with. From what i've seen it looks like most people use some type of wood glue, then seal the edges with caulk. And ive also heard its a good idea to round the corners of the port on the inside of the box. How do you do this?

ok thanks. I just was scared of trying it out since i didnt really know what I was doing. But what do you guys normally glue the boxes with. From what i've seen it looks like most people use some type of wood glue, then seal the edges with caulk. And ive also heard its a good idea to round the corners of the port on the inside of the box. How do you do this?

Well i used wood screws and liquid nails to put the box together then i sealed it with cork. I do not know if this is standard procedure but everything sounds great so far. I got the design from the tech center right here at ssa. See if there are any designs that would work for your particular set up.

Sign in to follow this