Duran

Alternator Wanted.

Godday Rob and Kyle, I'm needing an alternator for my 2008 Hyundai Elantra, 2.0L DOHC engine. I'm going for high idle output, but not something that will be a strain on the engine because it is a smaller vehicle, HP series probably.

The XP's are almost done, we can build a 230 that wont be too bad on the engine.. Hyundai's are KILLING me right now.. I have SO many people waiting, I cant count on all my fingers and toes, literally...

Good to hear you redesigned the case. I look forward to seeing the picture's.

You could also better your products and kits by taking feedback from customer's and relaying that info to your R&D department.

Since I'm chief of that dept, I make the changes as either they are requested or we find a need to make them in house.. I'm always open to suggestions though, I love prototyping and R&D'ing new things/products... As soon as we get our CNC machines in, we will be free to make whatever changes our customers want/need as well as making any kind of product we want to offer, or our customers need...

I sent my recommendations for corrections on my car's kit with my alternator last time I sent it in. I sent a detailed letter explaining the wrong bolt lenght and pitch on one of the bolts, and also the wrong belt. I sent the package to the correct belt and a the package to the die I had to buy to fix the threads on my engine block, plus specified correct bolt lenght.

Needless to say you guy's sent me another wrong belt, so I don't think much was gained. We will see if you send me a third one this time.

Furthermore, I returned my alternator in the original box the first time, which was easily 2 inches bigger than the alt. I get it back in a box thats SO undersized its bulging, with the mounting ear punched through the box. Needless to say the ear was mashed over and had to be filed. Poor packaging could also be leading to stressed case's.

I will surely recommend a third mounting ear on the back of the case in my car's kit if the case breaks agian after your new case design.

Thanks for your time.

Jared

There will be no issues with the new ones breaking... The case you have, is the ONLY case we've had problems with, on the ONLY car we've had problems with. The reason they broke was due to how far the machinist cut a relief to deep so there is not much support in that area. Now, on say a Toyota, we've never seen a single failure, with hundreds in the field, on diesel engines primarily. The whole reason for that is the torsional loading of the alternator on that car due to the extreme loading at idle..

I wont publicly give numbers, but the torque that alternator requires at idle is retarded, but at high RPM it takes less than most stock alts it replaces. Electric motors of any kind require the maximum torque at low speeds, just the facts. On that car at idle, they shake, violently, and thats enough to shear the case, plain and simple.. The new case is cast, and cast from 356T6 which is very strong, and it's got a TON of reinforcement. IF these break, I give up...

On the other items for input, I dont know why you got your other alternator that way, but that's definitely not normal. And the belt, had to be in shipping something got crossed, but we're implementing a bunch of new procedures to prevent most mixups so that's been addressed as well.

You'll have your new alt in the next 30 days or so, and I expect to hear about it if its not perfect.. Let me know what you think, Rob

What the hell happened to my thread? People, make your own.

*Deleting the BS*

The XP cases for these are supposed to be done next week sometime, trust me, as soon as they are done I'll let everyone know... Rob

The XP's are almost done, we can build a 230 that wont be too bad on the engine.. Hyundai's are KILLING me right now.. I have SO many people waiting, I cant count on all my fingers and toes, literally...

How would a 200 fair? I don't need much amperage, about 150 amps of extra draw on the charging system is all.

n/m

How would a 200 fair? I don't need much amperage, about 150 amps of extra draw on the charging system is all.

The smallest XP we build is 230.. Other than that it's going to be a 180HP... Considering you only have 70-80 stock, a 180HP with a good battery will be better than anything say 200-220, and thats just because of the inherent efficiency of the HP/XP alts.. If you want to go by the "letter", if you have an extra 150 amps of draw, plus your stock alt, your right at 230 anyways.. I always recommend the XPs just because you can never have too much alternator, and you can always swap it to another vehicle. You never have to buy another alternator, just pay for a new case if you change vehicles.. Considering you could have this alternator for 10 years, it's really a pretty outstanding value.. Let me know what you think.. Rob