Sign in to follow this  
heritage755

Need help deciding

A little about me. I have been out of car audio for a while. My last setup was two MMATS audio P3 12's in a ported box which was great in my Ford Ranger. I recently bought a MB Quart Discuss 1500.1 from a member here and ran it at 2ohms to a Hifonics Atlas 12 which blew within two days. That was admittedly my fault for turning the gain up too loud. I have a single cab Dodge Ram and would like to stay with one 12" subwoofer. My usable space is approximately 30"(w)X15"(h)X11"(d) for 2.12^3 ft of space. I would like to run the amp at 1 ohm @1500 watts and can spend around $250-$300 for the sub. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Looking for a somewhat ""SQL"" setup.

Edited by heritage755

A little about me. I have been out of car audio for a while. My last setup was two MMATS audio P3 12's in a ported box which was great in my Ford Ranger. I recently bought a MB Quart Discuss 1500.1 from a member here and ran it at 2ohms to a Hifonics Atlas 12 which blew within two days. That was admittedly my fault for turning the gain up too loud. I have a single cab Dodge Ram and would like to stay with one 12" subwoofer. My usable space is approximately 30"(w)X15"(h)X11"(d) for 2.12^3 ft of space. I would like to run the amp at 1 ohm @1500 watts and can spend around $250-$300 for the sub. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Looking for a somewhat "SQL" setup.

I would take a look at the ssa icons. They have great power handling and get loud for a SQ driver. They also fit right in your budget.

Only thing I suggest, When you wire up your amp to 1ohm and are setting the gain, watch your voltage drop. Most stock electrical in vehicles cannot support a 1500watt rms without upgrades.

Running the amp with lower gain will be easier on your electrical and may or may not be that much of an audible difference in output.

Just a few things to consider :)

Also thinking about two SA-8 run at 2ohm for 750 watts. Also I did the big three with zero gauge and cant notice any dimming of the lights and the voltage gauge doesnt move.

Edited by heritage755

Also thinking about two SA-8 run at 2ohm for 750 watts. Also I did the big three with zero gauge and cant notice any dimming of the lights and the voltage gauge doesnt move.

With the MB Quart Discuss 1500.1 at full tilt? wired to what ohm?

I would check the voltage with a dmm, or an adjusted stinger volt meter, better accuracy then the gauge in your dash.

No that was at 2ohm. I will order a new digital volt meter also. I'm leaning toward two sa-8's at 2 ohm in a ported box that's about 750 watts for the pair. Ive also heard the discuss may do a little more than rated.

No that was at 2ohm. I will order a new digital volt meter also. I'm leaning toward two sa-8's at 2 ohm in a ported box that's about 750 watts for the pair. Ive also heard the discuss may do a little more than rated.

It may, but either way your not going to hear the difference between 600watts and 800watts.

Just get what fits your space.