Sign in to follow this  
Ktownmazda6

New box plan! *Criticism and opinions greatly appreciated*

This is a box plan I made, and want some output on this. I was hoping someone could double check "my work" as you would call it, to see if everything seems okay.

Image attached along with specs below:

box image

Specs:

For a 15" fi ssd in a 1st gen mazda 6 trunk.

.75 MDF

Gross box volume 4.05 cu ft.

Net volume: I suck at math, no clue. Hoping to be within 3-3.5 cu ft range?

4" aeroport tuned @ 33hz.

***optional setup (I am leaning towards this)***

4.05 cu ft. gross with 6" aeroport tuned @ 35hz.

Dimensions: 15" tall x 35" wide x 30" BD x 4" TD x 29.15" angled front panel length.

As I said, honest opinions are GREATLY appreciated, as I want to nail this project.

Thanks!

-Chance

Awesome, thats what I was leaning towards. Otherwise everything else checks out? Im assuming its going to have a "harder" hit being tuned to 35hz instead of 32hz on my old box, or has someone "misinformed" me? I dont trust a lot of things I hear from people around my area (Keller, TX).

That box design looks like a good start. I have a Mazda 6 aswell. I've tried boxes with the port firing towards the side of the car and haven't had the best results. The best boxes I've built have been with the sub firing up on the passenger side with 2 6" aero's firing up on the drivers side, loading off the rear glass.

You can also fit 39-40" in width back there.

Have fun with the trunk latch (the metal L bracket inside the trunk lid). I'm already on number 4. The last 2 were welded with additional bracing, which helped, but eventually they all die.

Nick is right, 1 4" aero won't be enough port area for that subwoofer. Go with 6". I plugged your dimensions into a calculator and got 4.05 ft^3 and that is after your wood displacement. Then subtract the displacement of your sub from the 4.05 then subtract the displacement of your aeroport then you will have the internal volume of your box after all displacements. For your aeroport, here is a website that can help you determine how long your aero needs to be to acheive your desired tuning.

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=ventcalculator

Good Luck!

Hey Skizzy thanks man, I appreciate the tools! Ive been using the12volt calcs, and pspinc calcs so far. I will check that one out and add it to my list of goodness. lol. I learned that port noise could be a problem with the 4" after I made this post.

Now, with that set aside, and I may be over analyzing this.. In a medium/large sized trunk (approx 19" inside by 44" wide), must the port run to the side, or top? I currently have it planned for the side. It doesnt appear to have much room to port up, with the type of box I will be building.

That box design looks like a good start. I have a Mazda 6 aswell. I've tried boxes with the port firing towards the side of the car and haven't had the best results. The best boxes I've built have been with the sub firing up on the passenger side with 2 6" aero's firing up on the drivers side, loading off the rear glass.

You can also fit 39-40" in width back there.

Have fun with the trunk latch (the metal L bracket inside the trunk lid). I'm already on number 4. The last 2 were welded with additional bracing, which helped, but eventually they all die.

hey man I apologize, it did not show your post a sec ago!! Are you in a hatch model or sedan? I assume sedan cuz hatch came out in 05 right?

Im currently running sub up and port up, but I just assume I would have had better results with the sub facing the seat. Not the case in this car eh?

YEah I have the hatchback. Tons of room back there.

Like I said, the loudest boxes I've built have been loading off the glass, but I'd kinda like to see how this box design works out.

YEah I have the hatchback. Tons of room back there.

Like I said, the loudest boxes I've built have been loading off the glass, but I'd kinda like to see how this box design works out.

yeah thats what I thought you meant, but I ask a lot of questions cuz I have ADD really bad.. lol.

Yeah im pretty stoked about this box build to be honest with you. I am actually not building the box this time. Im kinda workin out a deal with a buddy that does liners (Tuff Customs). Hes going to build it and spray line the box. Im just waiting on the flares to come in for the port.

I may be designing a new logo for him in exchange for a box build, give or take some $$$ on the side too.

I have one final question,a nd I think I will have it all figured out. I understand volume, but when I calculate the port dimensions on one of those calculaters, do I type in the cu ft. of the box after woofer cu ft taken out too? Like gross is 4.3 or something (i cant remember), net was 4.01 I think before subtracting the driver volume. Would I plug in that number to calculate it? Right now its claiming I need it at 12" long for 35 hz.. Thats with flared ports. I just want to be sure that adds up to 35-36 hz range.

Yeah to find your volume, you have to find out how much air space is inside the box. Subtract your woofer displacement and how much room your port takes up.

the port placement and sub placement is up to you man. If you want to get into some money and planning, you can place the subs and port facing the cabin and sealed off from the trunk. There are a good amount of builds showing that. If you can pull it off, it can be the loudest way. But then again you can go subs back port back and that would be good as well. I have also heard that subs back port side can be good as well. I have only dealt with the mazda 3 trunk.

@yomama: Yeah I have an idea of port calculations now, but I didnt know if on those port length calculators u use if you were supposed to type in the gross vol, or net to get the length required on the port.

@Skizzy: I will more than likely do port side, and sub front or back onlly because of my setup. My box is a wedge, and the port doesnt have mush room on any of the corners. Idk how the mazda 3 is for trunk inlet, but the mazda 6 has a huge trunk, but the entry from the seats, and even the trunk alone are very small. I only have about 16" of height max, and thats fromt he seats end. Thats why I am doing a wedge, so port facing is limited. Unless I havent come up with a better known idea yet.. lol. Moneys tight so I am stuck with this for now.

Sign in to follow this