Sign in to follow this  
zshortcut

i need help with box design

hey guys,

i need help making the design for a optimal sealed box for my 2 12's. http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/index.php/product-information/icon.html\

the problem i have is i have a rather small vehicle and the space the box has to sit in is 33" wide and 18" high but to get it in the tallest it can be is 16"

if anyone could build me a diagram or point me in the right direction it would be a HUGE help. thanks in advance, zack

SSA has box designs, but they might not work in your space. Also you didn't say how deep the box could be. Going by your max size of 33 x 16 x 13 inches deep. I'd use a double baffle and recess the drivers. Then add .25" of extra depth to allow for space taken up by braces. Total 14" depth.

Btw. I build boxes if you need help ;)

Duane

SSA has box designs, but they might not work in your space. Also you didn't say how deep the box could be. Going by your max size of 33 x 16 x 13 inches deep. I'd use a double baffle and recess the drivers. Then add .25" of extra depth to allow for space taken up by braces. Total 14" depth.

Btw. I build boxes if you need help ;)

Duane

where do you live Duane?, if your around my area i would love for you to build it.

if not i would love for you to design it!

and back to the sizes, its gotta be 16" high cause 17" wont fit to get into the trunk, 33" wide max! and depth is free rain, i dont care how much it comes out.

I'd REALLY like to have a ported box but i dont think thats a choice for such a small space.

Michigan.

LOL I know. I can draw in 2d Cad. I'll have to look into it tonight. Will you do this yourself? Or take it to someone?

Also

LOL I know. I can draw in 2d Cad. I'll have to look into it tonight. Will you do this yourself? Or take it to someone?

Also

that would be AMAZING!!

um... depending how difficult it looks lol, i have a carpender buddy that might help

the biggest it can be is:

33" wide

15" high

and depth is free rain for you

i have two Icon 12's. i'd like the box to be ported but if its to difficult then a sealed box will due too.

There are other details of the design to look at. How much power will you be pushing these with? I'll model it and see the differences in boxes. That brings me to the next point. There is a limit on the depth. At some point you won't be able to fit it in. If you want ported then you need to figure it out.

Duane

There are other details of the design to look at. How much power will you be pushing these with? I'll model it and see the differences in boxes. That brings me to the next point. There is a limit on the depth. At some point you won't be able to fit it in. If you want ported then you need to figure it out.

Duane

i have a Crunch 1100watt amp 2 channel if it matters?

um...the box i have now is 15" deep and i can get it in fine,

how close on Cu.ft does a box need to be? my buddy has one thats 2.85 and optimal for these subs is 2.70, is that to far off??

my buddy has one thats 2.85 and optimal for these subs is 2.70, is that to far off??

That little of a difference isn't going to matter much.

my buddy has one thats 2.85 and optimal for these subs is 2.70, is that to far off??

WOW, the box i have now is 2.58, going to 2.70 isnt gunna make a difference :/

so now its like ported or nothing...

Why would you want to go from 2.58 to 2.7?

im not gunna, that was really stupid of me, i was calculating my box TOTALLY wrong and it seemed like there was a difference but i see now there is none. i really want a ported box, but how do i calculate the cu.ft of a ported box?

im not gunna, that was really stupid of me, i was calculating my box TOTALLY wrong and it seemed like there was a difference but i see now there is none. i really want a ported box, but how do i calculate the cu.ft of a ported box?

If you run Windows, or have a way of running Windows programs on your Mac, I would highly suggest getting the Torres' Box Tuning Calculator. You put in your dimensions and it does all of the calculations for you. If you don't know what to put in a specific field, go to the help menu and any questions should be answered.

Good luck!

If you run Windows, or have a way of running Windows programs on your Mac, I would highly suggest getting the Torres' Box Tuning Calculator. You put in your dimensions and it does all of the calculations for you. If you don't know what to put in a specific field, go to the help menu and any questions should be answered.

Good luck!

i've tried downloading that before, for some reason the download always fails :(

SSA lists 4cf. but I'd think you could be ok with as little as 3cf. I didn't know you had these installed already. do you have a pic?

How does 22" deep sound? 16x33x22. I haven't quite got the details down yet, but it should end up close to 4cf.

SSA lists 4cf. but I'd think you could be ok with as little as 3cf. I didn't know you had these installed already. do you have a pic?

How does 22" deep sound? 16x33x22. I haven't quite got the details down yet, but it should end up close to 4cf.

Ok, I've got a final design. 15x33x22. net vol = 3.5 cf. 3.5x14.5 slot port. Port and subs facing back. you should get about 6db more out of this box at 40hz. (than your sealed box) That is like adding 2 more subs!

Duane

i actually dont have any pictures at the moment, its nothing special, small wedge box, i have them firing toward the seats and the box is sitting at the bumper, amp on top.

nothing special but it gets the job done, thats why i'd like to build a ported box and make it clean and legit looking, turn it back around so people can see them too

Ok, I've got a final design. 15x33x22. net vol = 3.5 cf. 3.5x14.5 slot port. Port and subs facing back. you should get about 6db more out of this box at 40hz. (than your sealed box) That is like adding 2 more subs!

Duane

wow that sounds great bro!

how complex of a design is it tho?

can a noob make it?

If you have the tools. If you haven't built anything before then I'd find someone to help you. You need the cuts to be right on. And you don't want to lose any fingers. ;)

Duane

The port is only 14.5 inches long?

Duane

Could be wrong, but I believe 14.5 is the height.

The port is about 36" long, I think... The kids are on the computer. So I can't look it up. I'll post a pic when I get back on the pc. Most likely tonight.

Duane

Not if the height is 15", that would make the port height 13.5". I think I see what he did, the 14.5 is the second port length after the turn. If that is the case the box is tuned pretty low, I'd go for a bit higher tuning, more port area, and a double baffle.

Duane

Not if the height is 15", that would make the port height 13.5". I think I see what he did, the 14.5 is the second port length after the turn. If that is the case the box is tuned pretty low, I'd go for a bit higher tuning, more port area, and a double baffle.

You're right, I was looking at the post before that one when he said 16". Perhaps he accidentally hit 5 instead of 6?