Kaoktik812

smelling voice coil on exterme lowz

i would like to know what is causing my sub to get to the point where i smell voice coil.. the sub is a 08 15" bl flatwound coil p chamfer in a 3.4 cubic ft box tuned to about 42 hurtz. Could the box be to small, port not proper size, lenght or could i be pushing it to hard? I am running jbl gto 1400 at 2ohms thank for any and all input.oh yea sub is d1

what do you consider extreme lows? At 42 hz. your SSF should be set about 37, so you're probably doing a couple things wrong.

lol alright the song i noticed it on was wacka flocka no hands, certain parts of the song get low and heats my sub, needless to say i no longer pay that song. Alright will have to look at my SSF. So what other things could i have wrong dont hold back cause i dont want to damage my sub or amp

thanks for ur help watts

must say i love the ur avatar

You're pushing it too hard below tuning.

lol alright the song i noticed it on was wacka flocka no hands, certain parts of the song get low and heats my sub, needless to say i no longer pay that song. Alright will have to look at my SSF. So what other things could i have wrong dont hold back cause i dont want to damage my sub or amp

thanks for ur help watts

Yeah deff adjust it. Can I ask why you tuned so high?

Gain can be too high. Probably because you're tuned too high, so you're trying to push the sub harder to get more output on the low notes. not a good combo. X2 on why you tuned high, assuming this is a daily setup?

Thanks, can't take credit for the avatar, saw it online somewhere :peepwall:

@ ricksi30 tuned that way caused its my first ported box i have ever made( basically not intentional ) i wasn't really sure on how ports work kinda trial and error...when i bought my sub from Fi i didn't find the cut sheets until about two months ago when i signed up here. I bought it back in 08 . i plan on building a new box very soon just have to find time...

If you like the low notes, I would go with a 30-33 hz tuning depending on how low you like.

thanks for ur help watts

does the same thing to my subs(my lvl4 15s and my 5)(my lv5 18 is in 5.7cubes with 16.5sqin of port at 36.5hz), could be clipping, i can play any song as hard as i want and no heat, i play it for 1 minute, and the dustcap is hot to the touch. I stray from that song now (bass boosted versions unless it is decaf)

edit: the farther from tuning you get, the less cone control you have. So when you are tuned to 42hz playing a 28hz note, you first getting a lot of excursion lessening the amount of coil in the gap (reducing BL iirc) and therefore losing cone control which can cause more excursion, but as far as the heat, i think it is the song or something clipping cause rapid heating.

Edited by ChevyBoy95

The new enclosure should help.

cool thank you all for the info i will hopefully be building the new box next week ill let you all know how ur info helped out..

thank you ,Bobby

cool thank you all for the info i will hopefully be building the new box next week ill let you all know how ur info helped out..

thank you ,Bobby

tune around 33 hz and you should be fine. If you don't want the cut sheet that is on SSA there are many people here who can help you in designing an enclosure. :detail:

FYI "No Hands" IS clipped.

how do you know if a song is clipped what are the tell tail signs i should look for?

get audacity, it is free, it has a setting when you open a song in it, it will show clipping.

example...

clippingexample.jpg

awesome i knew i joined this forum for reason......... awesome people here with good advice. chevyboy thats a bad avatar shame on you lol :fing34: