Sign in to follow this  
Iced2

2000x Real output

Has anyone ever tested it to see what it really puts out? i know most people say us amps are why under rated but since i have a 2000x i wounder by how much.

just think if you mod it and give it the current it needs ;)

I called up US AMPS and they didnt have any mods for it. the only mod Ive heard of so far was to cut out the SAT so u could run it at low ohms just to burp it. but as an every day thing thats no good

My question is this

How do you measure your amp's output power?

Ι mean what type of equipment do you use (Voltmeter and ammeter in parallel/series connection ,Fluke.wattometer)

Do you include the power factor (cos n)in your calculations?

Official USamps view on this subject wpould be appreciated... :fing34:

You can use a volt meter but it wont tell you if the power is clipped or not.

The best way is using an Oscilliscope. Since it will tell you if the power is clipped or not.

Some amps wont clip so using a volt meter wont give you an accurate amount but a general idea.

I put one on my MA Audio Hk-4000D, got 150A ac. Put that into a forumla and got my wattage.

You can use a volt meter but it wont tell you if the power is clipped or not.

The best way is using an Oscilliscope. Since it will tell you if the power is clipped or not.

Some amps wont clip so using a volt meter wont give you an accurate amount but a general idea.

I put one on my MA Audio Hk-4000D, got 150A ac. Put that into a forumla and got my wattage.

The issue here is wether you use the type P=U.Icosn and how do you calculate the power factor (cos n)not the readings from a DLL or an Osciloscope

To be more specific...Let's take a standard frequency as an input signal say 67 Hz played to a 2000x which is running a 15" sub ia aported enclosure...

At that frequency there is a nominal coil resistanse and there is also the impredance rise.If you divide these two measurements the outcome gives the power factor for that frequency...

So my question is ,do we include this power factor to our formula or just do the multiplication (U.I) since the readings from the measuring devices are real time measurements? :huh2::huh2::huh2::huh2:

Edited by thanosdbfan

Usually the load is a series of resistors not a subwoofer.

Impedance rise has to do with the enclosure so if you shange that then you impedance will change at any given frequency.

My question is this

How do you measure your amp's output power?

Ι mean what type of equipment do you use (Voltmeter and ammeter in parallel/series connection ,Fluke.wattometer)

Do you include the power factor (cos n)in your calculations?

Official USamps view on this subject wpould be appreciated... :fing34:

Have u guys noticed Official USamps people dont really come into this forum, or is it just me.

he was just here about 30 mins ago

they are tested against resistors, not inductive loads.

power factor doesn't have to do with impedance rise. power factor is the voltage and amperage phase shift that occurs from the inductance of the voice coil. volts x amps. since the peaks are now out of phase (lead/ lag situation), the true power is less than appearant power.

it looked like some were on the right path with the cosine idea, and others on another path of figuring in impedance and it's rise. and it takes some good test equip to gather all that info to see what your amp is doing at any one particular time. like mentioned, O-scopes, amp meter,...

i could have gotten the conversation all screwed up. i'm turned upside down from working nights. i guess if the info i read entered my brain wrong, i'll get pummeled for it. i have an excuse.... :coffee: .

Edited by 95stroked1500

they are tested against resistors, not inductive loads.

power factor doesn't have to do with impedance rise. power factor is the voltage and amperage phase shift that occurs from the inductance of the voice coil. volts x amps. since the peaks are now out of phase (lead/ lag situation), the true power is less than appearant power.

it looked like some were on the right path with the cosine idea, and others on another path of figuring in impedance and it's rise. and it takes some good test equip to gather all that info to see what your amp is doing at any one particular time. like mentioned, O-scopes, amp meter,...

i could have gotten the conversation all screwed up. i'm turned upside down from working nights. i guess if the info i read entered my brain wrong, i'll get pummeled for it. i have an excuse....  :coffee: .

Power factor has a lot to do with impedance rise ,since it is the outcome from dividing nominal VC resistance ® to the reactive load (Z) (which includes VC resistance inductance and box impedance rise)

cos n = R/Z

I noticed a new addition to the test setup: a fire extinguisher! That's right, Joe Sanchez, the tech running the tests, explained to me that he was just "more comfortable" with one by his side. Hmm...

probally the best line from the article