Sign in to follow this  
Haakon

I found out that I was not going to use it, I tried to give it away for free, but no one was interested, maybe because it was made for a odd speaker size, 11" subs. Had no room for it just standing around in the already small garage, so out it went. Learned a bit more of what to do and what not to do when building a fiberglass/mdf combo box, so adding some points for experience and that it. Fine by me :)

Anyway, a N2 18" is maybe a much funner sub to have, making a pretty big box for it, about 7 cubic feet net. Tuned to 31-32hz, should hit the lows pretty good? I'm working on the box these days, it's looking pretty good I think :)

Back to the doors, I actually came across "readymade" door panels. They were not ready. Halfway ready at most :) Finish was good, but fitment was rather crap to be honest. Did not fit at all, needs major surgery to fit. But they look pretty good though. For a "proper" build they need to be modified a bit, they have really flimsy mounting points and if you were to mount speakers directly to it, the whole panel would vibrate bigtime. I might make new door spacers to fit the Focal midbasses, although they are nearly 8" in reality (specced as 7"), I should be able to fit them behind the door panel, and just use the panels as trim. They look like this:

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

and where they are supposed to be straight:

IMG_0538copy.jpg

The lower parts of the doora has a really big opening behind the doorpanel:

CIMG1782.jpg

so I made a cardboard template that filled this out:

IMG_1234.jpg

and transferred the template to a 8mm thick plastic sheet:

IMG_1235.jpg

This is fastened with industrial 3M VHB doublesided tape around the edges, and then a layer of Second Skin Damplifier Pro over the panel and its edges to seal it properly up.

Looks like this all sealed and dampened:

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg