faulkton

Q about rlp box

Ok i ordered a 15" rlp that should be here friday. Im going to have a vented box built to 3.5cf @ 28hz. What i want to know is about is vent area. Ive heard people talk about it but im not sure how it effects output and SQ. I do not trust any of the shops around here so i want to know as much about what im getting built before i go in and talk to any of them.

So should i worry about vent area, or just tell them i want a 3.5cf @ 28hz box built.

Thanks.

You NEED 35 sq inches of port area. More is okay, less is not. Depending on your location there might be someone here who would build/sell you a box or no matter where you are you could buy a design here and then you would know you are right and you could have some locals put it together for you. Definetely worth the minimal money to make sure it is done right.

where do you live? there might be a member near you that can help you build the enclosure

where do you live? there might be a member near you that can help you build the enclosure

I live in south dakota...the middle of no where..faulkton ;) I doubt anyone is close. I think i will get plans from someone and then just take them to a shop. Then at least i know it will be right.

Edited by faulkton

HCCAfan lives in SD, not sure the distance away though

Be sure to use dual flared ports. PSP sells them through Parts Express.com. They have attachable flares for the inside and outside mounting to eliminate or reduce port huffing and noise. I used to use PVC pipe and toilet jacks in the old days, but the flared ports are the way to go.

Watch your clearances from the sides, bottom, and rear of the cabinet too. If the port seems to be toooooo long, go to a larger diameter port and shorten it up to get the desired cu inches. :hay:

Mike