TheHammer

JL Audio Stealthbox for F350???

I have an F350 that has captains chairs with center consoles front and rear. The stock head unit is quit acceptable feature wise, and even the door speakers are not awful, the lower frequencies are quite lacking however. I thought a nice clean way to solve the lack of bass might be to put a JL Audio Stealthbox in the center console (preferably the rear one)

I don't even know where I can get one (I'm in Kamloops BC Canada).

Another option is a "custom made" box with another sub in the center console, or a "truck box" behind the seats ( ick :-/ ).

Any opinions?

Know how I can get the Stealthbox at a reasonably price?

I do have a 10" Cadence Beast subwoofer here not in use.

Another problem I think is the stock deck "adjusts" (lowers) the voltage output to the sub as the volume increases.

Anymore issues?

FYI, I have access to:

- Alpine PDX-M12 amp with bass knob

- Audio Control Epicenter (1st generation)

- Carver KLW Audio Phantom (bass enhancer)

- Audio Control EQX

- Audio Control MVC

Thanks,

The Hammer

Email JL or Crutchfield.

You can DO whatever you want or budget or skill allows really. Personally, if it were me, I'd remove the rear console and make my own in place of it. Also, with the factory deck, it will attenuate the bass as you increase. They do this to protect the smaller speakers. You will need some sort of factory integration processor to remove this from the signal; without it, it will do the same to the signal to you tap from for your amplifier.

The stealth boxes are pricey but do work and fit well. Contact GemSen, they are the Canadian distributor for JL Audio, Im sure they will be able to put you in touch with a dealer near you.

http://www.gemsen.com/

The stealth boxes are pricey but do work and fit well. Contact GemSen, they are the Canadian distributor for JL Audio, Im sure they will be able to put you in touch with a dealer near you.

http://www.gemsen.com/

Tried twice, apparently they don't care about selling me one of these.

I guess I'll have to phone

The Hammer

Email JL or Crutchfield.

You can DO whatever you want or budget or skill allows really. Personally, if it were me, I'd remove the rear console and make my own in place of it. Also, with the factory deck, it will attenuate the bass as you increase. They do this to protect the smaller speakers. You will need some sort of factory integration processor to remove this from the signal; without it, it will do the same to the signal to you tap from for your amplifier.

As I am in Canada I emailed the Canadian distributor (and have been ignored so far)

I would like to keep the stock look as I like it (Harley Davidson Edition), so the Stealthbox suites me just fine.

Not sure what I would need to stop the voltage adjusting as I turn up the volume knob.

Any suggestions? not sure what outputs the stock head unit has.

The Hammer

I'm confused what you mean on the voltage adjusting. When you increase volume, voltage will increase. What I was referring to was the EQ built into the stock stereo to attenuate the bass frequencies at higher volumes. If you simply tap into the factory signal without processing, then it will attenuate the subwoofer as well.

If you are having problems with the Canadian distributor, email JL and they will kick them in the pants. They don't piss around and when their dealers aren't serving their customers, they get on them hard. Trust me, if you want JL, talk to JL. They will do whatever it takes to make you happy.

I'm confused what you mean on the voltage adjusting. When you increase volume, voltage will increase. What I was referring to was the EQ built into the stock stereo to attenuate the bass frequencies at higher volumes. If you simply tap into the factory signal without processing, then it will attenuate the subwoofer as well.

If you are having problems with the Canadian distributor, email JL and they will kick them in the pants. They don't piss around and when their dealers aren't serving their customers, they get on them hard. Trust me, if you want JL, talk to JL. They will do whatever it takes to make you happy.

I wonder if there's a target frequency the stock stereo is attenuating at, and you could use the bass boost feature on the amp to null it out. :ughdunno:

I wonder if there's a target frequency the stock stereo is attenuating at, and you could use the bass boost feature on the amp to null it out. :ughdunno:

With Ford it will be several frequencies, so the only way it would work is if he could adjust Q as well. Worth a shot versus spending the extra dough on a processor though. Good idea!

With Ford it will be several frequencies, so the only way it would work is if he could adjust Q as well. Worth a shot versus spending the extra dough on a processor though. Good idea!

Again, I'm not sure what outputs the deck has for certain I assume high level front, high level rear, and weird adjusted sub channel.

I thought of a few solutions or work arounds.

1- If I only used the front speaker outputs, assuming those are full range, run those info my Audio Control MVC then that can make 3 sets of out puts out of the single front output of the deck (so I would loose fading and some adjustment via the stock Head Units controls).

I could set the levels with the MVC, and amp gains. run my own 4 channel amp to power the fronts and rear speakers. Use my Alpine PDX-M12 to power the JL Audio Stealthbox.

Have I flawed in someway in my thinking.

I guess I would have to use the knob for the MVC to adjust volume too?

If I used the stock HU volume that might work too? or maybe not.

The Decks out puts are the key to solving this I think.

The other thing I thought is to just use the sub output from the stock head unit and compensate n the fly with the epicenter or remote knob for the sub amp.

Really need some experienced advice here, I'm sure loosing volume control from the steering wheel controls or the stock units controls will not be desirable.

The Hammer

I don't know how the MVC works, so I can't comment on that, but if the stock unit is using outboard amps, you should be able to tap into a low level signal from the head unit itself. I haven't messed with any of the newer units, but I know the Mch 460 units in the Mustangs had a low level signal that you could buy an adapter for and it works great.

I don't know how the MVC works, so I can't comment on that, but if the stock unit is using outboard amps, you should be able to tap into a low level signal from the head unit itself. I haven't messed with any of the newer units, but I know the Mch 460 units in the Mustangs had a low level signal that you could buy an adapter for and it works great.

MVC PDF manual

I am just assuming that the stock Head Unit has front and read high level outs (amplifier built into head unit). I know there is an stock sub and amp behinf the rear seats (that definitely under perform and have very little adjustment ability from the stock head unit).

The Hammer

Edited by TheHammer

Well I sent an email to the head of international sales for JL Audio, and he sent an email to the head of the Canadian distributor for JL Audio, and he sent an email to the closest authorized JL Audio dealer, who sent an email to me. All of them offering to help me get a Stealthbox.

So fine I can get that underway now, but still need to overcome the bass output lowering as I increase the volume of the stock head unit.

Does anyone know these stock ford unit very well?

Thanks,

The Hammer

9057d1242254971-2009-nav-unit-2008-f350-dsc02430-small-.jpg

Chances are, if you have the subwoofer, that signal will be fine. If it were me, I'd sell the processors you have now and get a CleanSweep or similar unit.

Chances are, if you have the subwoofer, that signal will be fine. If it were me, I'd sell the processors you have now and get a CleanSweep or similar unit.

I'm not sure a cleansweep will solve the problem if the stock head unit equalizes bass out of the signal as the volume is increased.

As I mentioned I'm not exactly sure what is going on.

Isn't the MVC similar to a cleansweep?

The Hammer

Edited by TheHammer

The MVC is nothing more than a line voltage amplifier.

The Cleansweep and similar processors analyze the incoming signal and process it to remove the factory processing, hence the name, clean sweep. You're left with a clean signal free of factory processing.

The MVC is nothing more than a line voltage amplifier.

The Cleansweep and similar processors analyze the incoming signal and process it to remove the factory processing, hence the name, clean sweep. You're left with a clean signal free of factory processing.

After installation and calibration of the clean sweep I would end up with the same problem (if I desired to use the factory volume knob or steering wheel controls). Bass boost at low volume, and bass attenuation at high volume. (according to this video anyhow). I guess it might not be as big a deal as I imagine it could be, but wish there was a work around short of changing out the factory head unit.

And I would require 2 units, both the main CL441 DSP and the CL SSI.

Damn,

The Hammer

Edited by TheHammer

Upon further research it seems that Audio Controls new Accubass feature is designed to overcome this bass roll off. Featured on 2 of their current devices. The LCQ-1 and the LC2i.

:)

OK, I bought an Audio Control LCQ-1 off eBay, that should solve the bass roll-of issue.

Still think the stealthbox is a bit pricey. Anyone heard one? Specifically for the F-350?

The Hammer