Sign in to follow this  
Brendon

Is my SA-12 defective?

My sub woofer sounds like the voice coil is frying on only about 350 watts rms at 4 ohms is it some thing to do with the new cones in the middle of the cone it gets pretty hot after only a couple minutes

Edited by Brendon

My sub woofer sounds like the voice coil is frying on only about 350 watts rms at 4 ohms is it some thing to do with the new cones?

Your going to have to go into more detail. What exactly is it doing? What are your amp settings?

My sub woofer sounds like the voice coil is frying on only about 350 watts rms at 4 ohms is it some thing to do with the new cones in the middle of the cone it gets pretty hot after only a couple minutes

Is it wired correctly? And do you have a dmm?

Gains at about 75% and bass boost at like 20% yeah its wired like this

1_2ohmDVC_4ohm.png

on a kicker 750.1

edit: whats a dmm and what do mean what is it doing it's playing like normal just has that smell and it's getting hot

Edited by Brendon

Gains at about 75% and bass boost at like 20% yeah its wired like this

1_2ohmDVC_4ohm.png

on a kicker 750.1

I think we have found your problem. Turn the bass boost off, and probably turn the gain down too until you read up on how to properly set it. If you have any bass boost or "loud" features on your deck turn them off as well.

Even when I have the boost down all the way it's doing it also it isn't hooked up to a deck I have it on a battery in the house btw if its "out of phase" how can I fix that it's wired exactly like it's supposed to be according to rf..

Edited by Brendon

What are you using as a source? Are you sure that your voltage is stable?

Even when I have the boost down all the way it's doing it also it isn't hooked up to a deck I have it on a battery in the house btw if its "out of phase" how can I fix that it's wired exactly like it's supposed to be according to rf..

need more info not hooked up to a deck?

this sounds like a problem i fixed for a guy once on a SA seeries.. he claimed that the sub was not hitting very well at at all

it was getting hot as shit.. and sounded like ass.... at one point it even started smoking,...

i poped the sub out of the box i seen some silly shit....

he had + off 1 coil to the - on thecoil.. and the - off the first coil on to the second +

he directly shorted the sub.... then when i told him what he has did.. he adimtly said no i hooked it up just like the picture your showing now...

so take the sub back out of the box... DOUBLE CHECK IT. and or just run 1 coil and see what happends,..

yeah i just charged the battery and it was only on for like 5 minutes i have the ground to a car battery - and the positive to the + on the battery, this worked for a different setup i had just fine..

Edited by Brendon

Take the sub out and check the wiring, weve all wired out of phase in our lives maybe this is your time haha

okay i checked and its hooked up right i had it on 1ohm before but my amp isn't stable at 1 ohm it seemed to work fine at 1 ohm other than the amp going to protect mode thats why i hooked it up to 4 ohms but now its doing this.. just to clarifiy i have the plus and the minus hooked up to the ones right next to each other and then the other side going to the terminals on the box

Edited by Brendon

okay i checked and its hooked up right i had it on 1ohm before but my amp isn't stable at 1 ohm it seemed to work fine at 1 ohm other than the amp going to protect mode thats why i hooked it up to 4 ohms but now its doing this.. just to clarifiy i have the plus and the minus hooked up to the ones right next to each other and then the other side going to the terminals on the box

need pics as to what your doing.

noo that sounds honorably wrong.

I think you only have one coil hooked up.. just guessing but that is what it sounds like how you wired it up. try switching the and having a positive from one side attached to the other then have a positive on one side and a negative on the other hooked up to the appropriate spots on your amp.

Edit: I see the picture now. Yes it is wrong. Each side is for one coil so you only have one hooked up right now

Edited by Miller

your shorting 1 of the coils out.

okay so how exactly do i hook it up i knew never to trust a mainstream brand lol if u can do a quick sketch that'll be the best

im not sure who showed you to do that.. but you should kick them in the nuts.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp?submitted=true&woofer_qty=1&woofer_imp=3

follow option 2

if its a dual 2

just take the positive from one side and hook it to the negative on the other. So then you are left with a positive on one side and a negative on the other that hook up to your amp.

what is the impedance of the sub first off..

yeah its a dual 2ohm

i followed that rf picture..

Edited by Brendon

okay so how exactly do i hook it up i knew never to trust a mainstream brand lol if u can do a quick sketch that'll be the best

WTF>?

Sign in to follow this