cannibalaux

please share your thoughts

So what I'm looking for is some clean, tight, bass to add to my current setup. Loudness is not really what I'm going for, I don't want the sub to overpower the rest of my system. I currently have a 4CH JL amp feeding 60W (i think) to some 6.5 mb quarts. Now I'd like fill out the bottom end. When I put in a sub I'd like to run a hpf on my components so that they don't have to play the lower freqs (is this right?).

Also, space is a concern.

So from what I've read on this forum, I'm thinking of going with a SA-12 in Dual 4 coils and the most powerful amp @ 2ohms that I can afford. Was looking at the Alpine MRPM500 or MRXM50.

I'd like to go with a sealed enclosure, but I'm not sure I'm up for designing and building one.

What do you guys think? Any recommendations on amps or getting a custom box built? How would you do the sub,amp, and box for around $500?

Thanks in advance! :)

edit: its like a $10 price difference to go for the 12, so that was my thinking.

Edited by cannibalaux

sure , TS is gonna know what that means ...

SA-12 is a sundown audio sub

the AP1500 is an audiopipe

not sure about the amp though , , I'd rather buy a refurb or seconds hand for that money

get d2 sa-12 ap1500 wire that bitch to 1ohm in 2cube's @ 32hzand still have some money left

Based on the info the OP gave, recommending 1500 watt amp for the SA-12 in the ported box probably isn't the best recommendation. Will it work, be loud, and be in budget? Yes. However, the OP wishes to not drown out his mids with over-bearing bass, but rather would have a good fill in his car. Hence him asking about a sealed box. Maybe space is concern for him too?

So to the OP, maybe give some more information about the space you are willing to give up, what music you listen too, etc... Then some more folks will chime in and give you some helpful information, instead of "wire this bitch to this bitch and it will get this bitchen loud"

Sorry about the rant...and no offense intended to 97T5WAGON

So what I'm looking for is some clean, tight, bass to add to my current setup. Loudness is not really what I'm going for, I don't want the sub to overpower the rest of my system. I currently have a 4CH JL amp feeding 60W (i think) to some 6.5 mb quarts. Now I'd like fill out the bottom end. When I put in a sub I'd like to run a hpf on my components so that they don't have to play the lower freqs (is this right?).

Also, space is a concern.

So from what I've read on this forum, I'm thinking of going with a SA-12 in Dual 4 coils and the most powerful amp @ 2ohms that I can afford. Was looking at the Alpine MRPM500 or MRXM50.

I'd like to go with a sealed enclosure, but I'm not sure I'm up for designing and building one.

What do you guys think? Any recommendations on amps or getting a custom box built? How would you do the sub,amp, and box for around $500?

Thanks in advance! :)

edit: its like a $10 price difference to go for the 12, so that was my thinking.

What is it about a sealed box that you don't want to design and build? all you have to do is figure out what usable space you have the dimensions you need to achieve 1 cubic foot after displacement.

the alpine amp is a good little amp that will power your 12 great. it just doesn't leave any room to grow if you ever want to add another 12.

you can easily purchase all that for under $500. it would also be a good sounding setup. The only question is, why not go ported? you can make a ported sub blend well with a quality front stage (mb quart being one of them).

Thanks guys!

Actually I did come across the audiopipe amps in my searches, and am seriously considering one due to price and supposedly close performance to advertised wattage.

Music wise, I like almost everything. If I don't listen to it now, I"ll probably start somewhere down the line :). At the moment, I'd say my genre preferences are

Hip hop, trip hop, idm, glitch, house etc.. But I also listen to some reggae/ska, a bit of jazz, and other music with more emphasis on traditional instruments.

To maintain a rectangular shape and to conserve as much space as possible, I'd like to shove it in the back of my trunk.

I have also been considering going with a ported 2 cu ft, as I realized that I overestimated the size of 1 cu ft. In this case, I would want the box to be ~36'' wide and ~15'' tall and whatever depth is needed to create the correct volume.

However, I'm not sure if that shallow depth will negatively impact the sound. What kind of space would be required directly behind the driver?

I am also wondering whether driver placement relative to the port and port walls is something to worry about. Obviously I would have the driver on one of the larger sides, but what position is recommended for the port?

sa12box.png

OTOH, I could still go with a 1.0 cu ft sealed box, but I haven't been able to find any people who have done that. And I definitely want to do this right the first time and get the most I can out of the equipment. Most of the stuff in my searches seems to be people defending the ported design against the assumption that sealed boxes are tighter and more responsive.

And I am starting to think that building my own box would be more rewarding, so I may go that route.

Thanks again! Can't wait to get this sorted and order the parts :).

Also: To account for driver displacement, do I just add the displacement on top of my target volume? So I'd want 2.14? Because I can do this by simply changing the 15'' height to 16'' in the above picture.

Edited by cannibalaux

Thanks guys!

Actually I did come across the audiopipe amps in my searches, and am seriously considering one due to price and supposedly close performance to advertised wattage.

Music wise, I like almost everything. If I don't listen to it now, I"ll probably start somewhere down the line :). At the moment, I'd say my genre preferences are

Hip hop, trip hop, idm, glitch, house etc.. But I also listen to some reggae/ska, a bit of jazz, and other music with more emphasis on traditional instruments.

To maintain a rectangular shape and to conserve as much space as possible, I'd like to shove it in the back of my trunk.

I have also been considering going with a ported 2 cu ft, as I realized that I overestimated the size of 1 cu ft. In this case, I would want the box to be ~36'' wide and ~15'' tall and whatever depth is needed to create the correct volume.

However, I'm not sure if that shallow depth will negatively impact the sound. What kind of space would be required directly behind the driver?

I am also wondering whether driver placement relative to the port and port walls is something to worry about. Obviously I would have the driver on one of the larger sides, but what position is recommended for the port?

sa12box.png

OTOH, I could still go with a 1.0 cu ft sealed box, but I haven't been able to find any people who have done that. And I definitely want to do this right the first time and get the most I can out of the equipment. Most of the stuff in my searches seems to be people defending the ported design against the assumption that sealed boxes are tighter and more responsive.

And I am starting to think that building my own box would be more rewarding, so I may go that route.

Also: To account for driver displacement, do I just add the displacement on top of my target volume? So I'd want 2.14? Because I can do this by simply changing the 15'' height to 16'' in the above picture.

use this to make box and good luck with the setup

http://www.*****.com/board/topic/38791-torres-box-tuning-calculator/

Parts Express has a 12" sealed box for $40. It used to be cheaper. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-644

Drop a Grill on it $10 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-443

drop a 450 Watt amp on it $99 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=269-189 - Free shipping for your whole order

Drop a cheaper efficient 12" woofer in it $79.99 Shpped http://www.woofersetc.com/p-8144-ref-tm122-12-tidal-audio-subwoofer-dual-2-ohm-oem-by-image-dynamics.aspx

And you are out for less than $230.

Parts Express has a 12" sealed box for $40. It used to be cheaper. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-644

Drop a Grill on it $10 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-443

drop a 450 Watt amp on it $99 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=269-189 - Free shipping for your whole order

Drop a cheaper efficient 12" woofer in it $79.99 Shpped http://www.woofersetc.com/p-8144-ref-tm122-12-tidal-audio-subwoofer-dual-2-ohm-oem-by-image-dynamics.aspx

And you are out for less than $230.

Best suggestion I've seen so far. I also agree with your sealed decision given the variety you listen to. I listen to everything from classical, to rap, to metal, to dance and I've found sealed enclosures best for my tastes, but I always have a stout mid-bass setup.

Parts Express has a 12" sealed box for $40. It used to be cheaper. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-644Drop a Grill on it $10 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-443drop a 450 Watt amp on it $99 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=269-189 - Free shipping for your whole orderDrop a cheaper efficient 12" woofer in it $79.99 Shpped http://www.woofersetc.com/p-8144-ref-tm122-12-tidal-audio-subwoofer-dual-2-ohm-oem-by-image-dynamics.aspxAnd you are out for less than $230.

What does it mean for a driver to be more efficient? And what makes that ID more efficient?

Also could anybody address the questions I had regarding the ported design I posted above? Does there need to be a certain amount of space behind the driver, and how should the port be placed relative to the driver?

Thanks all! Your expertise is much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Depends on the driver. If the driver has a pole vent (hole in the bottom of the magnet) then normally atleast one inch is needed behind the driver to the closest wall. If the driver does not have a pole vent then the enclosure only needs to be deep enough to hold the driver.

Port and driver placement can be critical in a SPL type setup. Unless you have other reasons due to space constraints or some other variable, driver and port on same plane is good.

Ported enclosures generally have a peak at the tuning frequency. A peak centered around a frequency can gain db's in SPL setups (where they tune the enclosure to the vehicles in cabin peak frequency) and can generally be louder than a sealed enclosure. IMO sealed enclosures are good for smaller enclosure sizes and obviously for drivers that are designed for sealed enclosures only.

The Sundown SD series would be a great candidate for a super small sealed enclosure and a lower budget.

Yes, just add the driver displacement to the gross volume. Don't forget to readjust your port as well

What does it mean for a driver to be more efficient? And what makes that ID more efficient?

A more efficient driver will be louder than a similar driver on the same amount of power. With drivers such as subwoofers the enclosure has more of an impact on system efficiency than the driver itself. Driver efficiency is more critical when matching midbass/midrange/tweeter drivers. The vehicle's cabin naturally boosts sub frequencies tremendously.

Also could anybody address the questions I had regarding the ported design I posted above? Does there need to be a certain amount of space behind the driver, and how should the port be placed relative to the driver?

Thanks all! Your expertise is much appreciated.

Based on your goals I think sealed will be the way to go. It might be worthwhile to plot the response curve for the mids in that MB set and see where they drop off and you need a sub to fill in. Plot some responses for a driver in an alignment you think will work and see how well it will blend and fill in where you need it to.