Sign in to follow this  
agarabaghi

Box for SSA XCON 10

Well im swapping out my 2 SA10s each on an audiopipe APSM1300 for 1 SSA 10" XCON and i will be strapping both amps together to get ~2000w @ 2 ohms.

It seems like I might get away with being able to use the same box and port length.

The current box is 1.39ft^3 before displacement, making it 1.24ft^3 ... using the aero port calculator My exisiting 3" x 15" port will give me a tuning of ~30.8hz.

Am i lucky and wont have to build a new box?

You will need a bigger port for the xcon.

Yes because that port is way to small.

This setup in particular in the fact that it will be in a boat. Port noise is not really a concern as you have a lot of extra wind and sounds since it's all open. The SA10 is performing very well with the 3" port. I could always go to 4" but I think I might give this a try 1st.

You won't have port noise. You can drop that sub right in with no issues.

Are you using a 3" aero or a 3x15 slot port? The slot port would be fine, the aero WAY too small.

thanks pro-rabbit ... i see you are also on this forum =P

It's an aero... im doing to try a direct drop in and see how it sounds!

A 3" aero is 7 inches^2 of port area, and nowhere near enough for an XCON 10.

A 3" aero is 7^2 inches of port area, and nowhere near enough for an XCON 10.

7 in^2.

A 3" aero is 7^2 inches of port area, and nowhere near enough for an XCON 10.

7 in^2.

On my phone haha. Too lazy to fix it.

I don't think you'll notice any issues with the 3" aero, but bump it up to 1.5ft^3 and a full length 4" aero to get a 34hz tuning and you'll notice a difference in output.

I don't think you'll notice any issues with the 3" aero, but bump it up to 1.5ft^3 and a full length 4" aero to get a 34hz tuning and you'll notice a difference in output.

agreed, but i think he is limited in space in the boat though...

try it out sealed?

Didn't he have a pair of SA-10's though? Maybe they were in separate locations that are limited on space.

Didn't he have a pair of SA-10's though? Maybe they were in separate locations that are limited on space.

Yea, he had them in separate locations.

I'm still thinking about a "workcation" and heading down and doing some fiberglass work for him lol

I am wondering how a 3" aero is okay? Especially with the power he is running? If he was running considerably less power it may work. A 3" aero is a 1/5 of the recommended minimum port area for that driver and tuning. Port noise aside he will be losing a lot of output.

I am wondering how a 3" aero is okay? Especially with the power he is running? If he was running considerably less power it may work. A 3" aero is a 1/5 of the recommended minimum port area for that driver and tuning. Port noise aside he will be losing a lot of output.

X 1,000,000

I agree 100%, with that much power and the XCON's displacement capabilities I wouldn't use less than 30-35 inches of PA.

Same way that a 4" works fine for most 12" subs, and a single 6" for most 15" subs. As far as noise goes, you'd be surprised how little port area you can use when running an aeroport. Most people run way more port than they really need to these days. I'm not saying a 3" aero is optimal or the best way to go...just saying that it'll do the job. I'd personally run a 4" port if I could.

Edited by RAM_Designs

with that much power and the XCON's displacement capabilities I wouldn't use less than 30-35 inches of PA.

Can you explain to me how(with a 1.25ft^3 box and a 33hz tuning) you plan on getting a 54-64" long port in there? Even in a 1.5ft^3 box and a 35hz tuning you're looking at 40-47" of port length.

Same way that a 4" works fine for most 12" subs, and a single 6" for most 15" subs. As far as noise goes, you'd be surprised how little port area you can use when running an aeroport. Most people run way more port than they really need to these days. I'm not saying a 3" aero is optimal or the best way to go...just saying that it'll do the job. I'd personally run a 4" port if I could.

I am going to disagree with you. Like he said noise is not really an issue since its for a boat. But the performance of that XCON will be greatly affected by such a small port. You are essentially choking the subwoofer. I would rather of stuck with the SA-10s at this point.

with that much power and the XCON's displacement capabilities I wouldn't use less than 30-35 inches of PA.

Can you explain to me how(with a 1.25ft^3 box and a 33hz tuning) you plan on getting a 54-64" long port in there? Even in a 1.5ft^3 box and a 35hz tuning you're looking at 40-47" of port length.

Thats the problem most people have when buying such a small driver with high xmax. 1.25 cubic feet turns into 2 cubic feet total size with the correct port area and length.

Well i am not opposed to building a new box, I would just prefer not too. I think I have a few more inches I can stretch it out.

I was running 2 SA10s, each on an audiopipe APSM1300. 1 in a small sealed box in a storage compartment, and 1 in the current box. It sounds great, but I am really missing the storage area. I guess I will try this sub out in the original box, and if I don't like the output or think it could be better, maybe Pro-Rabbilt will be ready for his vacation hah!

I think i might be able to make the total length 30" max, keeping everything else the same would yield me about: 1.52ft^3 before displacement, so 1.37ft^3 after sub displacement. That would require ~ 19.5" of aeroport to achieve 34hz tuning. First Im not sure I could fit 19.5 inches without hitting the back of the driver due to the strange dimensions of this box.

Oh well, hopefully the sub shows up soon and I can give it a test run!

Really im hoping for similar output as the 2 sa10s, but gaining back my storage compartment. I understand that with 2 10" SA10s there is a lot of more cone area, but we can't forget that 1 of the SA10s was in a compartment that really muffled the noise, and just caused rattles and vibrations. ha ha ...

so how did this end up sounded I too need an aero port size for my 10 inch xcon lol