I am working on a new system for my 350Z and was considering running active. I've never ran active before and have been reading around and have a decent idea of what to do, but I am stuck at what to use for processing. I have a double din sat nav puoneer hu and it doesn't have the ability to run acrive and I've noticed the MiniDSP and it's right in my price range. I've decided with the Mach 5 MLI 65's, I still need to measure for the tweeters, and for the amp I'm going to get the JL 300/4. Does this setup seem fine to run with the MiniDSP? Is it pretty complicated to set the MiniDSP through the computer? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

How experienced in audio setup and installation are you?

Reason I ask is because the MiniDSP isn't as plug-n-play as a car audio specific processor. Last I knew there are some specific considerations to installing a MiniDSP in a car environment, such as it not being properly isolated so without the correct installation there was a high risk of noise and such. If this is your first go-round with active and you are less experienced with electronics in general, it's probably not a great first processor. The initial cost of the MiniDSP appears low, but by the time you factor everything in cost wise (casing, isolation, etc) it ends up being pretty equivalent in cost to a lot of used car audio specific processors. Also, I'm not sure if there is a time delay for the audio to route through the MiniDSP's processing. If there is, then in order to run a 2-way active front stage + subwoofer you would need atleast 5 channels of processing so that all of the audio system was running through the processor, which means you would need either two 4-channels or the 8-channel.

So, long story short.....depending on your experience and skill level, you very well may be better off to look at car audio specific products.

How experienced in audio setup and installation are you?

Reason I ask is because the MiniDSP isn't as plug-n-play as a car audio specific processor. Last I knew there are some specific considerations to installing a MiniDSP in a car environment, such as it not being properly isolated so without the correct installation there was a high risk of noise and such. If this is your first go-round with active and you are less experienced with electronics in general, it's probably not a great first processor. The initial cost of the MiniDSP appears low, but by the time you factor everything in cost wise (casing, isolation, etc) it ends up being pretty equivalent in cost to a lot of used car audio specific processors. Also, I'm not sure if there is a time delay for the audio to route through the MiniDSP's processing. If there is, then in order to run a 2-way active front stage + subwoofer you would need atleast 5 channels of processing so that all of the audio system was running through the processor, which means you would need either two 4-channels or the 8-channel.

So, long story short.....depending on your experience and skill level, you very well may be better off to look at car audio specific products.

Sound advice.

The MiniDSP can work, but requires some additional stuff to work properly without any hiccups. The biggest thing is not being able to adjust the crossover points and slopes on the fly verse an audison bitone/bitten, jbl ms8, RF 3sixty models, etc.

Sonicelectronix sells the jbl ms8s for a decent price, you can submit an offer, generally it's like 50 bucks cheaper or something then what they have listed. Also check out the new rf 3sixty models, they may work for your needs and be less costly.

I also wouldn't necessarily recommend an MS8 for a 1st time active user either. With everything being done behind the scenes in my opinion it takes a little bit of preexisting knowledge to understand why the MS8 does what it does, especially when results are less stellar than expected. I think for someone learning the ins and outs of tuning it's better to see the numbers on the display and be in control of what is changing, that way when the sound goes from good to bad or bad to good they hopefully gain an understanding of why a certain change had the result it did. I miss my H701 for that very fact.....when something doesn't turn out exactly right with the MS8 it takes a bit of figuring out why I didn't get the result I expected, and how to fix it.

I also wouldn't necessarily recommend an MS8 for a 1st time active user either. With everything being done behind the scenes in my opinion it takes a little bit of preexisting knowledge to understand why the MS8 does what it does, especially when results are less stellar than expected. I think for someone learning the ins and outs of tuning it's better to see the numbers on the display and be in control of what is changing, that way when the sound goes from good to bad or bad to good they hopefully gain an understanding of why a certain change had the result it did. I miss my H701 for that very fact.....when something doesn't turn out exactly right with the MS8 it takes a bit of figuring out why I didn't get the result I expected.

That and it's a complete pain in the ass to go through the entire setup for just changing the XO and slope, but I know it's necessary for the "auto tune" and target curve to work correctly.

Is there any other processors that would be in the $150-200 range that would be user friendly for a first timer?

Brad, do you know if the bit one or bit ten allows you to adjust the xo and slopes on the fly on it's lcd screen?

they came out with a dc isolator to address noise issues with the minidsp. idk if its effective enough for car audio, though they claim it is. http://www.minidsp.com/onlinestore/detail/8-accessories/flypage/81-minidc-isolator?sef=hcfp

there is also the coustics xm6, i think you will have to find one used.

Is there a pioneer add on processor for their head units? I have the avic-f700bt.

Edited by 02.R1