I'm now looking to upgrade to 1/0 wire in my truck. I've been told to use reducers to get the wire down to 4 gauge in my amp. Why should I use these on pure ofc wire when Idk what the reducer is made of? Why not just trim the wire down the fit snuggly in the 4 gauge inputs?? Since one reduced on knukonceptz is like 4 bucks. Pretty steal for somethin I don't see totally necessary. Is it possible the reducer would hinder power flow as opposed to just trimming??

Oppinions on recuders?

Edited by Brett_the_Vandal

the reducer makes it all look a lot nicer in my opinion and $4 each is a pretty decent deal.

The only down side I see with using a reducer is if it is a square tip there will only be 4 small points of contact, but if the tip is in the shape of a D then there is the potential for more surface area coming into contact with the terminal.

if you don't really care how it looks just trim the wires up then wrap the end with some heat shrink or black tape so no loose strands touch anything they shouldn't.

and be safe! and don't forget to fuse lol!

actually what is your electrical setup in your car? I see in your sig you have AQ1200 I know ram design is selling some data safe batteries (50ah) they are similar to the batcap 2000's for a nice price. and If I was using that AQ amp I would buy some of those batteries and wire them with 1/0 or 2/0 and then just go from the battery to 4 awg!

nothing wrong with reducers and $4 isn't bad at all imo

This is why I love distro blocks, I've never felt comfortable using the "reducers", I feel as though they don't get adequate contact. Just use a distro and accomplish the same thing with benefits(though more $$).

Like crazy said. It just seems they ain't have as much surface area touching the inputs as it would if I trimmed it to fit.

Gonna guess this is just an oppinion thing more times than not.

I have used reducers for a few installs and I would prefer them over trimming the wire. I think all reducers are in a similar shape of a D but make sure they are before you buy them. They work well and hold securely in place. I have yet to ever see a problem with a reducer and using a 1/0 to 4 reducer should have a double step down on it. I have done what Crazy talked about and put a battery in the back and then ran the wire from the battery to the amp so it works similar to the distribution block but has a better look and will help with the electrical in your setup. In my opinion a secondary battery is the best option followed by the reducers then use trimming as an option only if you don't want to spend the $10 on reducers.