Sign in to follow this  
T-Dub

RL-P QUESTION

Im considering getting an rl-P 15". My last setup was 2 12" L7's and I wasnt satisfied with their sq. I will be putting it in a ported box in my ext. cab Toyota Tacoma. What size box would you recommend? I have up to 4cu.ft. of room but heard that the rl-p would be well satisfied with 3.5 or less.Also will I be happy with how loud it will get after being used to hearing my last install? From what I've read I will be with the subs sq.Thanx 4 any help.Sry 4 all the q's.

due to cone disadvantage from going from 2 square 12's to a single round 15, your going to lose some output, but the 15" RL-p in a proper enclosure will still have loads of output

I hear that L7s perfer to be sealed than ported...

I never had mine in a sealed enclosure so I dont know.Mine were in a 4.5cu.ft. ported enclosure tuned to about 34 hz.They were pretty loud but lacked in sq, 2 me anyway.

I'd aim for around 3.25 cu ft net volume tuned to 28 Hz on the RL-p15 in car.

But as demin noted, you will likely be experiencing a slight reduction in overall output.

For power, throw a solid 700-1000 watts at the driver, and she'll do ya well =]

I hear that L7s perfer to be sealed than ported...

their initial design, (meaning years back) was to be used sealed in the smallest box possible with great SQ and strong output,

but after years of modifications and market changes, the now square L7's need to be more flexiable with enclosure, there were some issues with tinsel lead snapping, but from everything Polecat has said, that has been corrected with the 2006 models, at the moment I am not sure how they are designing the subs to preform, their SPL levels are supposed to be up from last year, but I wonder if they still are supposed to be best when sealed in a small box

oh yeah, RL-p ftw

as long as i can remember, square solos shine in ported apps...

oh for sure, and I think the new CVX (aka L6) is filling the gap that was left behind from the original solo

word...they look promising. i admit i do wish they were a tad cheaper but they're not absurdly priced at all...if they're better than a gay ass type R, that's good enough for me haha