Sign in to follow this  
Loud n Clean

Necessary to bandpass midrange?

Considering buying an electronic xover and I've found a nice old school piece that will allow me to set highs/mids/subs but doesn't allow bandpassing the mid. Is that that big of a deal?

If so, should I get these to cut it off on the high end?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2FMOD-3500Hz-High-Pass-Tweeter-Electronic-Crossover-USA-/370525230698?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564506566a#ht_2009wt_1396

the midbass should be xovered.. They cant drop as low as subs so it would need a nice ssf on the amp if you didn't have an xover and Sundown amps use nice xovers for purposes like that.

However, if you have an amp that doesn't allow SSF to go into the 100s frequency-wise then you would need an external xover. Some midbasses can go very high in the frequency range but ideally you would want to Low pass them as well. If you don't, lightly lower your power usage going to them to compensate for near full range signal source.

the midbass should be xovered.. They cant drop as low as subs so it would need a nice ssf on the amp if you didn't have an xover and Sundown amps use nice xovers for purposes like that.

However, if you have an amp that doesn't allow SSF to go into the 100s frequency-wise then you would need an external xover. Some midbasses can go very high in the frequency range but ideally you would want to Low pass them as well. If you don't, lightly lower your power usage going to them to compensate for near full range signal source.

Maybe i'm just not understanding how this thing works. The xover i'm looking at is a Coustic XM3-e, it has front/rear/sub....front would be for my highs, set to 3k....rear would be for my mids, set to 80Hz and my sub would be low passed at 80. So my concern is that there is no cutout point at the top end of the midrange spectrum, causing the mid and tweeter to have some overlap.....or would the midrange automatically roll off at 3k since that's what my fronts were set to?

Depends on the mid. If you are cutting the tweets at 3k, you more than likely will have a lot of overlap.

What crossover does your mid amp have? Normally between the amp XO and an external XO you can get a bandpass

If not, buy a small air core inductor and place in series on the mid to cut it at 3k

Depends on the mid. If you are cutting the tweets at 3k, you more than likely will have a lot of overlap.

What crossover does your mid amp have? Normally between the amp XO and an external XO you can get a bandpass

If not, buy a small air core inductor and place in series on the mid to cut it at 3k

i hope your back more often!!! where the hell ya been ?

Tweets will be cut at 3k too. My amps xover is 30Hz - 500Hz...no multiplier switch :(. I think i'm just gonna bite the bullet and buy a 3 way xover than can bandpass the midrange, strongly considering this one

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-3434-16-xo3-memphis-3-way-electronic-crossover.aspx