Sign in to follow this  
02ram

mag's cone material?

Hey, I was wondering what the cones are made of? It looks like a pulp paper cone? If so, I take it they are holding up ok? Was it picked because of the light weight?

Also wondering how I would wire 2-12's if I decide to go with them. I have a memphis mc1000d and wiring it to 1ohm gives you about 1100 w. So with 2 ohm d.v.c. I can only get 2 ohm and .5 ohm right? Does anyone know what the actual resistance is for the d2's wiring to .5 ohm. Like does it actually read .8 or like .3? curious because all the subs I have had never read exactly the correct ohm load. I don't want to have to buy a new amp to go with the mags. thanks.

As far as the cone material, don't worry, it will hold up fine. There are a ton of drivers out there with paper cones and they all work fine.

As for final impedanc eload on the amp, you can also get 8 ohms if you wire all coils in series. Now when you're measuring the coils, you are actually measuring the DC resistance of the coil, not the impedance. Your impedance will rise and fall while you are playing the driver. You may wire all the coils in parallel, and the amp may very well never see a .5, 1, or even 2 ohm load while you are playing music.

Here's a graph of the impedance plot of 2 D2s wired for 2 ohms in a 3 cube sealed enclosure. Notice the spike about 45Hz. It reaches about 8 ohms. Now, this is a just a computer simulation so don't take it to heart. It's just a demonstration for you.

thanks,

Yeah, I know that would be measuring resistance but since the actual ohm varies so much during play, would the .5 load be ok for a 1ohm stable amp such as my memphis? I don't want to get a bashing about memphis, but what do people think about memphis amps? I know where ever you go, I get different answers and some people are so biased, I never know what to think. Using that program, what would "sound the best" in my small cab going sealed then?

I think you'll be okay, but there's no real way to tell unless you actually do it. Don't worry about getting bashed by anyone around here for anything. That stuff just doesn't happen around here. Memphis is good stuff and I would feel 100% confident using the same equipment you've mentioned.