accordwithbass

PA system subwoofers?

So im building a box for 2 18" subs for a drummer of a band, it will only be used to reproduce the kick drum, and maybe the bass guitar. But what subs should I use? I don't want some 150 watt 18" crappy PA speakers, what subs can I use for this, he will probly be putting out 1000-1500 watts on the amp he will be using for the subs. Also should I tune the box higher or keep it at around 35hz. The band plays rock music, and im used to building box for cars that play rap. Thanks.

So im building a box for 2 18" subs for a drummer of a band, it will only be used to reproduce the kick drum, and maybe the bass guitar. But what subs should I use? I don't want some 150 watt 18" crappy PA speakers, what subs can I use for this, he will probly be putting out 1000-1500 watts on the amp he will be using for the subs. Also should I tune the box higher or keep it at around 35hz. The band plays rock music, and im used to building box for cars that play rap. Thanks.

What frequency range are you trying to reproduce?

Eminence makes awesome PA subs. That's what I run, and I also play drums for a couple bands. Typically you will find PA sub enclosures will be smaller, slightly higher tuning to prevent muddy, sloppy response. Hope that helps.

Thanks, well its his kick drum, some im guessing upper 40s? I need to do some research on PA boxes, but im trying to get an idea on speakers, ill look up those Eminence speakers. Thanks

Mine are tuned to right around 40hz. If you are looking for that "PUNCH" from the kick, like me, you will need some sort of processor. I use a Peavey Kosmos V.2

I don't want some 150 watt 18" crappy PA speakers

Exactly what I'd recommend. 150w on a true PA sub will do more than 1000w on a non-crappy boutique sub for his application. Choosing based on need is more important...

In my experience, no matter what type of woofer you use, PA sub or not, you will never be satisfied with the sound from a kick drum unless you process the signal to the sub amp. It took me years to develop the sound I was looking for. Had I known to process the signal, I would have saved time and money. wink.png

I don't want some 150 watt 18" crappy PA speakers

Exactly what I'd recommend. 150w on a true PA sub will do more than 1000w on a non-crappy boutique sub for his application. Choosing based on need is more important...

He has gone through multiple speakers, from 100 watt to 1000 watts. From pyle to JBL. He is using JBLs now for everything but wants a 1000 watt+ sub set up because he wants the crowd to feel it. Its not my call on what he gets its his so im finding options for him. His jbls would distort when the bass drum hit so this is why he wants a separate speaker for bass. And I cant change his mind. Hes dead set on huge power

If he wants the crowd to feel it, PA subs will do that better than what you are thinking.