hello all been awhile .. i have a question about alts i have 3 alts 2 for system the other powers the van. its a mecury/toyota van. yes mecury /toyota they called it mercury villager but made by toyota. im using chevy small case alts..they charge fine i only use the one wire off of them the sence wire. i dont use the dummy light wire.. now i was told that buy doing this alt.it would not draw power with sence wire connected to audio batterys . ive had many people argue the fact it does not draw power.. ook well this eve i was standing by my van and could here a slight wine.. i opened hood and related it to the alt sound was clearly from alt . second the alt is warm just setting there i know this cant be rite alt should not be warm when it hasnt ran all dayPlus it created a slight noise threw my front stage speakers which dont run off of the same alts, runs off van power front stage if i un hook the sence wire to audio batts it stops the speaker nosise. its a gm alt battery wire and 2 wires on top plug in. one is grey and the other if i remember rite was white.. the alts are for a chevy cavalier but bolted to my van nicely without much fabrication.. so my questions are why does alt whine when not being used and why does it get warm when setting, no driving.. have i got a wire messed up some wheres ive checked and re checked. any help greatly appreciated. thank you.

holly run on sentance... i cant even read it.

holly run on sentance... i cant even read it.

well its easily read i wanted to put all facts so id get a good answer... if u cant read it i guess you cant help..oh im partially blind to so my spelling isnt always on..

What does your battery rest at? If the alt(a) has a high load it will warm up quick.

Alt whine through your speakers could be a ground loop, uncommon with newer equipment but possible.

What does your battery rest at? If the alt(a) has a high load it will warm up quick.

Alt whine through your speakers could be a ground loop, uncommon with newer equipment but possible.

They rest at about 14. 56 volts. if not used for weeks itll drop to 12.56// . i was thinking a switch inline of the alt sence wire maybe shutting off the power to alts at night wont warm them . and the whine is really not loud . i can only here it when volume is off or barley on.. i just dont like the alts getting warm when not running.doesnt seem good for them. thanks.

They rest at about 14. 56 volts. if not used for weeks itll drop to 12.56// . i was thinking a switch inline of the alt sence wire maybe shutting off the power to alts at night wont warm them . and the whine is really not loud . i can only here it when volume is off or barley on.. i just dont like the alts getting warm when not running.doesnt seem good for them. thanks.

Your batteries rest at 14.5? Or do you mean that is what they are at with the car on?

What head unit do you have?

Battery voltage should be measured at ambient temperature with the vehicle off.

You have your field wire directly connected to your battery? You are bypassing your vehicle's VCM?

Ok. I've encountered the same whine on my small case gm alt. second. The alts will be on all times. The only time one of your alts will be off is when the other one is outputting a higher voltage. it will only excite the other alt when voltage drops lower than the output voltage of the turned off alt. I daily drive with a dual alt set up. When my 2nd alt comes on, it whines. My primary is a 270 amp mechman. The small case is my secondary which is off until I demo or pull a heavy load on the 270

Mercury villager is made by Nissan not Toyota and if your interested I have a iraggi 200 amp alt sitting in my garage as I don't have my merc villager anymore pm me