Robertjr79

Need help with box cut

I'm planing on building a new sub box and was wondering what would be the best way to get the mdf cut?

Box will be 36" wide X 18" high X 16" deep I know I have to take 1.5" off some measurement but what would be the best way of doing it? I will be getting the mdf sheet cut at Home Depot.

Thanks

EDIT: Does this sound right"

Front/back 36" X 18"

top/bottom 36" X 14.5"

sides 14.5" X 16.5"

and the port is also 16.5" high

I just having a hard picturing it in my head.

Edited by Robertjr79

Are you getting it all cut at HD? If you have something at your house that you can use to cut it I highly suggest using that. I've seen cuts from HD that were spot on and cuts that were off as much as an 1"

Are you getting it all cut at HD? If you have something at your house that you can use to cut it I highly suggest using that. I've seen cuts from HD that were spot on and cuts that were off as much as an 1"

All I have here is a jig-saw, thats why I'm getting them done for me. We build our own snake racks and every thing was cut at HD and they were all perfect cut. Every thing lined up great.

Edited by Robertjr79

All I have here is a jig-saw, thats why I'm getting them done for me. We build our own snake racks and every thing was cut at HD and they were all perfect cut. Every thing lined up great.

Fair enough then. Make sure to keep an eye on the guy running the panel saw. I suggest laying a 2x4 down at the bottom of the saw where the wood rests so that way the board won't tip over as you near the bottom of it. Also make sure the guy turns off the blade once it hits the bottom of the saw. 99% of the time the wood is 1/16 - 1/8" short cause they run the saw back up the wood and it cuts part of it off.

Fair enough then. Make sure to keep an eye on the guy running the panel saw. I suggest laying a 2x4 down at the bottom of the saw where the wood rests so that way the board won't tip over as you near the bottom of it. Also make sure the guy turns off the blade once it hits the bottom of the saw. 99% of the time the wood is 1/16 - 1/8" short cause they run the saw back up the wood and it cuts part of it off.

Ok thanks for that info. Would it be better if the side where like end cap (16" X 18") and I cut the rest 1.5" shorter? So 34.5" wide and not the 36"?

Edited by Robertjr79

Ok thanks for that info. Would it be better if the side where like end cap (16" X 18") and I cut the rest 1.5" shorter? So 34.5" wide and not the 36"?

That's what I do. I have them cut the wood just an inch or so bigger and then I cut the rest when I get home, but I use a table saw to do my cuts. If you're using a jigsaw just have HD do the cuts and hope they don't fuck anything up too bad. Make sure to get some liquid nails to seal up anything that isn't perfect. 60-80 grit sandpaper wouldn't be too bad of an idea either.