Austin863

MVL and CDL

Okay here directly i am going to be ordering some cdl tiles and perhaps a roll of MLV but my question is, if i put the mvl on to block engine noise would peeling the firewall off the center console insert and puting it behind there and then under my carpet on my floor work to block the engine noise. and in my van would it be easier/cheaper to use dynamat on the back walls and just cdl the doors just need a little extra tips on what i can do. thanks fellas

Do you mean applying the CLD and MLV under the dash? I didn't pull the dash, but went up the firewall as high as I could go/wedge my frame into the car to reach up there.

Not directly under the dash but behind the dash like in the engine room. Just the mlv there tho. i just wanna block some of the engine noise out. because it is really loud. id porobably put cdl and mlv both on the floor do you think that would work?

Constrained Layer Dampers do not block noise, well okay they have some mass, but that is not their application.

Mass Loaded Vinyl on the other hand is uber heavy for it's size. To BLOCK noise you need mass. Pretty much any mass is fine, but just make sure it covers the whole surface. This leaves you with MLV or something even heavier like sheet lead. One is a bit easier to acquire, more cost effective and is the winner bang for the buck.

So, you are asking yourself, why did he answer this way? It's because I can't tell you what is panel noise (structure borne) or transmitted noise (airborne). Knowing a ton about NVH I can guess, but that isn't truly the right solution for anyone. Use what you have to determine when and where it occurs and then extrapolate why. It will lead you to the right solution.

Thanks M5!