Sign in to follow this  
oakteg21

box calculation for single 12" dcon

Im trying to make a box for a single 12" dcon can you guys give me your feedback and let me know what you think please? im new in building boxes this is my first and looking for it to be tuned at 32hz demensions for the box are as seen in the calculator( long story on why i chose those measurements and dont want to even explain why) let me know what you guys think please and also for my port according to this what would be the sizes of the 2 pieces of wood i would cut for it? thats only thing im confused about at this point.post-24474-0-42030600-1352860314_thumb.p

Edited by oakteg21

Everything looks pretty decent. Are those the MAX dimensions you can use though? The one thing I see is that it could use a bit more port area and that will require the box to be a bit larger. Otherwise, if you can't spare the room it will work fine. The only issue could be port noise.

Everything looks pretty decent. Are those the MAX dimensions you can use though? The one thing I see is that it could use a bit more port area and that will require the box to be a bit larger. Otherwise, if you can't spare the room it will work fine. The only issue could be port noise.

yea those are my max demensions sadly how can i avoid port noise? without having to make the box bigger? can i just give it a bit wider port? and if i can how much wider should i make it?

If I were you I would just build it as is. Depending on where the enclosure is located and a few other factors it may not be noticeable. My sister's box doesn't have much more port area than the one you've made up and port noise isn't an issue with it. I personally would rather have the extra volume than the extra port area.

As for the board cuts, I can draw you a sketch up model and cut sheet if you'd like.

If I were you I would just build it as is. Depending on where the enclosure is located and a few other factors it may not be noticeable. My sister's box doesn't have much more port area than the one you've made up and port noise isn't an issue with it. I personally would rather have the extra volume than the extra port area.

As for the board cuts, I can draw you a sketch up model and cut sheet if you'd like.

a sketch up would be awesome thanks but before you even get started what you think of this other one with a bit wider port?post-24474-0-57686200-1352866970_thumb.p

hey alton i also wanted to ask because i have 3 skar vvx 8s and i know i got a box design already for them and appreciate it alot but would like a bit bigger box and tuned to 32hz because i think thats where the subs would perform better right? or 33hz? i listen to mainly rap/hip hop and some light rock. here the calculations i first made let me know if you would change something on it to make it better please i also would like to have this design having subs up port back. thanks.post-24474-0-33288500-1352867472_thumb.p

a sketch up would be awesome thanks but before you even get started what you think of this other one with a bit wider port?post-24474-0-57686200-1352866970_thumb.p

Once I started actually working through the numbers it seems something is a bit off. One thing, for certain, is that you didn't include the sub displacement. That's not a real big deal though with the small amount of displacement of the DCON it will only raise it a little over 1hz. The other issue is that what I'm seeing calculated in the Torres calc and what I'm calculating aren't jiving. It's usually really close to my calculations, but for some reason or another this time something is a fair bit off. I'm calculating more port displacement volume than the Torres calc. Generally I find where I miss a number somewhere, or fat finger one, but I've ran it quite a few times and get the exact same result. I need someone else to help verify what I'm seeing because if my numbers are correct by the time sub displacement is factored in the tuning is all the way up to 42hz, not good.

I'm seeing .6cuft displacement for the port, the Torres calc shows .48. That's for the same 28" calcualted length for the 32.27hz tuning. I did this same thing for Shogen recently and the numbers were pretty much dead on, so I'm not sure where it's going wrong at here.

hey alton i also wanted to ask because i have 3 skar vvx 8s and i know i got a box design already for them and appreciate it alot but would like a bit bigger box and tuned to 32hz because i think thats where the subs would perform better right? or 33hz? i listen to mainly rap/hip hop and some light rock. here the calculations i first made let me know if you would change something on it to make it better please i also would like to have this design having subs up port back. thanks.post-24474-0-33288500-1352867472_thumb.p

I'd be glad to help you with this right after we figure out what's going on with the DCON box.

Best I can tell is that it's not accounting for the two port walls that make up the port inside the enclosure. That seems to be where the math is taking me.

From what I see, the Torres calc has not calculated it correctly and the tuning is going to be WAY off.

If I multiply .75 (wood thickness) by 12.25 (port height) by 28 (calculated length of port, not physical) I get .143cuft, that's REALLY close to the .12 difference I'm seeing between the Torres calc and my calculations.

If you could go 14.5" deep it would work with the 32.xx tuning...

Ohh ok I'm new to using the torres Cal. So that may play into factor to. So is it possible for you to give me the appropriate adjustments needed to build the boxes with the demensions I have tuned to 32hz?

Would an aeroport help with the box and port volume?

It would, if he's got one to use or is wanting to buy one, it would help solve the issue he's having with fitment for certain.

OP, after running the numbers I can get 1.87cuft NET with 24.49 sqin of port area (12.25 x 2) tuned to 32.25hz inside your required dimensions. Not exactly optimal, but it's not choking it either.

I wouldn't mind using one but where can I buy one? And how big I've never used one before..

And the net 1.87 cu ft is for what build for the dcon or the skars? If its for the dcon then I guess it will have to if that's the best I can do with the demensions I have.

4" is the biggest size you could use and keep the tuning and dimensions you're wanting. Yes that's for the DCON, but with the aeroport the box volume can go all the way up to the full 2.25cuft and have a little room left over actually.

Like I said in an earlier post, we'll get everything squared away on the DCON enclosure before working on the one for the Skar's.

Here's a LINK to PartsExpress and they're listing for the 4" Aero.

Food for thought, if space is going to be just as much an issue for the Skar's as it is for this DCON build, an Aeroport may be something to consider for them as well.

Alright thanks the thing with the dcon was that I cut the wood without taking in consideration how it would come together and also the woods thickness. With the skars room is not much of an issue but will consider using aeroports if I need to

If you've already cut the panels for the DCON enclosure, which ones do you have? Or in other words, did you cut the front & back, both sides and the top & bottom all to those same dimensions (essentially creating a sealed box)? If you did, then buying an aeroport would make the most sense at this point. All you'd have to do is cut the hole for the sub and the port and you'd be set. If not, and you've got the front cut short for the slot port, then you need to post up the dimensions of all the panels you have cut already so we can help you get figured out what you can do with what you already have.

This would make perfect sense of why you've been so stuck to these dimensions.

Yup I'm in the situation where I cut everything and front is already cut with the port. What I have at this point. Is HxWxD 13.9x27.9x13.9 if I remember correctly with a port cut out to W 2.25" port length 27.125 if I remember correctly

Cut, but not assembled, correct? If so, you could cut another half an inch off the front, slide the first port wall out flush with the front (which would make a final 2" wide opening), as for the port you need the first wall cut to 11", then the remaining 16+ inches would make the second port wall. You'll have that 1.87cuft NET enclosure tuned to right around 32hz with the boards you've already cut.

Yeah only cut if I just decide to start over to get the best performance what would I build the box to? Close to those demensitions of course tuned to 32hz

Edited by oakteg21

I have one already drawn up and ready to go that would do very well for the DCON. 30"w x 14"h x 18.5"d in size, comes to 2.2cuft NET with 37.5sqin tuned to just under 32hz.

If that fits I can post up a drawing and cut sheet real fast since it's already done.

Yea that works ill buy more wood afterwork and get started :)

Can we just adjust the w to 28 so it can fit lol if it's at 2 cu ft that's fine

If you can go another half inch on depth to 19" then you can get 28"W x 14" H x 19"D, 2.2cuft NET with the same port and tuning.

Okay, here goes nothin'

oakteg21-1.jpg

oakteg21-2.jpg

oakteg21-3.jpg

oakteg21-cutsheet.jpg