Slumpin

dual 12's, trans am ported box build *PICS*

decided to get the ball rolling on this ported box, so i ordered the ports, bought the mdf, finished the plans and got cracking. started building today, thought i'd share a few pics. im planning on having 2 4 inch flared ports firing at the driver and passengers heads.

just test fitting here, actually wont block my rear glass at all with the hatch shut.

dcfc0056large1uw.jpg

basically all i got done today after i finished the plans. i did 2 of the smaller side pieces, but only attached one.

dcfc0058large9ae.jpg

this gives you an idea of the size of the ports i have to accommodate. 4 inch port my ass, its almost 7" at the widest point of the flare.

dcfc0054large3tc.jpg

this is without the box in. going to see where it sits with it in, then drop the front to match. looks goofy all high like this, i know.

dcfc0052large0iq.jpg

upwards, angled slightly to the rear.

yes, the most rearward angled section will hold the 12's. the 8 inch tall section that lays on my decklid under the hatch will house the ports, firing forward.

a couple people have told me i should use 3 4 inch ports to minimize port noise. thoughts on that?

You will really notice it if you have the ports firing foward.

I would do the 3 4" ports because port noise is very annoying

they also told me i would need to have longer ports with 3 to keep the same tuning. im shooting for 30 hz with about 4-4.2 net cubic feet (not counting ports, im not sure how much they displace)

that doesnt make much sense to me, i thought ports went by area. wouldnt you want shorter ports to keep the same area as 2 longer ones, or are there other factors im not aware of?

this is my first ported box if you can't tell :Doh:

ok i figured up the space again today, and it looks like im working with 4.35 cubic feet net, counting the woofers and port space. im planning on adding some mdf bracing in the middle for the front and rear sections, but i doubt this will occupy more than maybe a 1/10th of a cubic ft, if even that.

is this looking too big? i definitely dont want anything boomy, i'm looking to keep as much of that sealed SQ as i can. again, i'm shooting for a low tune, 28-30hz. sticking the 4 inch 18 inch long ports in as they are now should give me about a 28 hz tune right?

i haven't done any math yet, but if noone else answers i will later...

but for now i'll say this...

two 12" rlp's with two 4" aeroports should be more then enough to not have any port noise. of course more would be better, and it looks as though u'll have the space to accomadate another port, but i think u'll be ok.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

if there is another port though they would all have to be quite a bit longer to keep the same tune right? all the room i have from the front of the box to where the ports would hit the 12's ia about 19-20 inches.

wouldnt they need to be longer than that? if i kept them all in the middle, between the 12's, i could maybe add another 10 inches if i angled them downwards, but would that have any effect on the sound?

getting there. i work 12 hour shifts, 4 and 5 days a week so i only get the chance to work on it a couple days a week.

i have most of it done, the holes are cut for the ports and all. everythings countersunk, a few pieces have been glued and siliconed. i tried making a round cut using a pieces of string tied to my router, and needless to say it didnt turn out so well, so i had to scrap that piece, and im changing the box up a bit since i have to redo that piece anyway. want more room for the 12's, i didnt dig the look of them coming right up to the edge the way they did. i think i can still finish it up today or tomorrow and get everything drying. will post pics later on today.

havent been posting here because it didnt seem like people were overly interested.

almost done. everything is cut, drilled and countersunk, the clamps are on and glue is drying now. going to glue the last couple pieces tomorrow, silicone the next day, should have it in the car in 3 days.

hell of a lot more work than i was expecting, i think i've got 7 or 8 days into it. granted i work off and on, work a couple hours, take a break, toke some reefer, drink a few beers, play some games, work a couple more hours, etc. probably only got 4 or 5 hours a day into it, and i had to redesign the angle on it and recut a few pieces so that added a couple days to it.

check back for finished pics, would take em now but its dark and my camera sucks in the dark.