Sign in to follow this  
sundownz

Revisiting the X-8 : New Thread

Our prior unit had extensive supplier issues to the point where we've just had to write off all of that work and tooling.

In any event... I decided to re-visit the X-8 idea and base it on our SA-8 v.2 frame tooling.

The first challenge was to make a GREAT spider for a 2.5" coil on an 8" woofer... which is difficult and we used extensive software optimization before tooling. Fortunately our basket allows a spider about 10mm wider than pretty much all other 8" frames out there.

Since the spider is the main challenger we had that tooled first and then built up a test bed to test with :

CIMG6783.JPG

* Former was too tall / big in diameter for the SA-8 dust cap to work so I had to use an SA-12 dust cap; which came all the way out to glue onto the surround edge.

CIMG6784.JPG

* SA-12 Motor

CIMG6785.JPG

* We had an adapter machined to mount the motor; I decided to have some extras made for some brave DIY folks that may want to make a similar project.

CIMG6786.JPG

* There is the beastly new spider tooling -- this thing worked great !

I was able to test the X-8 spider with an SA-12 motor / coil and SA-8 v.2 cone and surround. The X-8 will have it's own unique motor, cone, and surround for production. Those parts aren't done yet and I wanted to test the spider so we built it like this for now smile.png

I am very pleased with the spiders excursion capacity and linearity. I will get some Klippel measurements done on it soon as well to verify... my "push the cone Klippel" indicates that the spider has a very linear compliance to it for quite a bit of travel in both directions -- anxious to see the actual plots smile.png All of the computer optimization on this spider definitely paid off with the result.

Edited by sundownz

Looks bonkers. You should offer this franken-woofer in kit form for those with used SA-12 motors. :D

Once I get it in a box I will get some music videos -- our QC test track doesn't really reflect how it will actually sound. We just use it for this type of test as it has many varying frequencies and is pretty hard on any driver.

Yum, two all beef patties with some special sauce!!!

Sign in to follow this