Sign in to follow this  
Dexter Chaos

So many Sub options needing help

I have been up and down on what I wanted to put in my trunk. After some help from others on here I have got a starting point to get some good opinions. If this is still not a good starting point just tell me what I need to do.

So I have measured my trunk and found that 34L x 34W x13H would be the largest enclosure I would be able to get in and out of my trunk with out building multiple piece enclosure. So with this new information I have realized that what I wanted to do will not fit in the opening of my trunk. So These are my thoughts of my new direction for my first car audio build.

My current sub choices are:

-FI BL12d1 x 2

-SA8-v2  x 4 (I would not be against the thought of more of these)

-I will take suggestions I just have really enjoyed the reading and video of these to manufacturers.

I find the ability of the sundown 8 is incredable from what I have seen and read online. I just have not been able to hear one in person to justify this choice further.  Also I feel that If I purchase the 4 and they are not adiquate then I have room left over for more improvement since these take up a small amout of area.

I also have not heard the Fi just using information of the web. These look increadable! Just not sure I can get the enclsure large enough to satisfy me and the sound that they can produce once I have added the port.

My enclosure will be ported.

My concern is the comparison of 2 12's vs 4 8's? Please leave your opinions so I can further my decision. Cone area should be close just not sure what directly will be different since one is an 8 and the other a 12.

I am sure I am doing something wrong here Please help constructively would be appreciated.

Guess ill be the one... We need to know your goals before someone can really help you. What are you trying to accomplish?

Guess ill be the one... We need to know your goals before someone can really help you. What are you trying to accomplish?

I want loud low music. Listen to alot of dubstep, electronic type of music. But still listen to rock and roll, 50-60's, alternative, country every now and then. I would like to be able to shake the cups in my cup holders if I want to and still retain quality sound when listening to other types of music.

I have been up and down on what I wanted to put in my trunk. After some help from others on here I have got a starting point to get some good opinions. If this is still not a good starting point just tell me what I need to do.

So I have measured my trunk and found that 34L x 34W x13H would be the largest enclosure I would be able to get in and out of my trunk with out building multiple piece enclosure. So with this new information I have realized that what I wanted to do will not fit in the opening of my trunk. So These are my thoughts of my new direction for my first car audio build.

-FI BL12d1 x 2

-I will take suggestions I just have really enjoyed the reading and video of these to manufacturers.

I find the ability of the sundown 8 is incredable from what I have seen and read online. I just have not been able to hear one in person to justify this choice further.  Also I feel that If I purchase the 4 and they are not adiquate then I have room left over for more improvement since these take up a small amout of area.

I also have not heard the Fi just using information of the web. These look increadable! Just not sure I can get the enclsure large enough to satisfy me and the sound that they can produce once I have added the port.

My concern is the comparison of 2 12's vs 4 8's? Please leave your opinions so I can further my decision. Cone area should be close just not sure what directly will be different since one is an 8 and the other a 12.

I am sure I am doing something wrong here Please help constructively would be appreciated.

personally I would pick 2-12's over 4-8's because I think the BL kicks ass

however with your size limits, one BL might be a better idea

you say you want cups shaking in your cup holders?

sun visor movement?

get 1 ssa zcon

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/58656-ssa-zcon-12-d2-and-crescendo-bc2000/?hl=zcon

i just hope you have the power to slam it

-FI BL12d1 x 2

personally I would pick 2-12's over 4-8's because I think the BL kicks ass

however with your size limits, one BL might be a better idea

you say you want cups shaking in your cup holders?

sun visor movement?

get 1 ssa zcon

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/58656-ssa-zcon-12-d2-and-crescendo-bc2000/?hl=zcon

i just hope you have the power to slam it

Why would you choose one twelve?

Is this due to box size and amount of room I have?

I Currently was convinced by my local audio store to buy an arc 12D4 and I am not happy with it at all. Not Loud enough.  I would have reservations about going with one twelve again.

What are your opinions.

Subwoofer output level can be increased by increasing cone surface area or by increasing cone excursion. There's no opinions to be had when comparing speaker specs. The ZCON 12 takes 2250w RMS power. Your arc 12D4 takes only 350w RMS. The ZCON has a linear excursion of 29mm while the Arc only has 16mm. Learn more about speaker specs here

Note that you also need a large enclosure (Ported or Sealed) for your subwoofer. The enclosure is just as important as the sub itself. SSA recommends ~3.25 cu.ft. @31-37hz. I would go on the low end of tuning and go to 3.5 cu.ft. for enclosure size.

Be sure you have the electrical to support all this power, whether it be from Fi BL 12s or otherwise. If you're going to try and pull more than 1200w RMS, I would suggest a HO alt and Big 3 upgrade.

Good luck!

Edited by azlnick

Subwoofer output level can be increased by increasing cone surface area or by increasing cone excursion. There's no opinions to be had when comparing speaker specs. The ZCON 12 takes 2250w RMS power. Your arc 12D4 takes only 350w RMS. The ZCON has a linear excursion of 29mm while the Arc only has 16mm. Learn more about speaker specs here

Note that you also need a large enclosure (Ported or Sealed) for your subwoofer. The enclosure is just as important as the sub itself. SSA recommends ~3.25 cu.ft. @31-37hz. I would go on the low end of tuning and go to 3.5 cu.ft. for enclosure size.

Be sure you have the electrical to support all this power, whether it be from Fi BL 12s or otherwise. If you're going to try and pull more than 1200w RMS, I would suggest a HO alt and Big 3 upgrade.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice I believe I am going with 2 12's . I had read the specs and that is why i am now unhappy. I read the specs just did not understand what everything ment. Once again thanks for all the help. I have started designing a box with sketch up. Also used speaker box tuning calculator.

Would anyone volunter looking over my specs i have used and my box design so I feel better about the port being correct. or not. or how  I could possible improve it.