Scott18

Amp for a SS RL-p15

I have been thinking about getting the RL-p15, but I do not know what amp to get. The amp that I am looking at is the Hifonics BX1500D. Would the 1500 rms @ 1ohm be too much for the sub even with the gains turned way down? Or I can get 1000 rms @ 2 ohm. What would you recommend?

Scott

if you're set on the BX1500D, wire it to one ohm, the amount of power it produces there wont overpower an RL-p

Well I have a Directed 1500D (1100wrms @ 1ohm.) hooked up to a RL-p 15 and I can only put the gain up to 1/4. Anything over that and the sub distorts bad. Also I have the frequency set around 20-25 Hz ( hard to tell because the dial is not marked) I get really low end bass and not too much above 32Hz. This is in a 2.25 cu. ft net sealed enclosure.

SQ is pretty amazing but output is low compared to a box thats ported and tuned higher. The bass I get from my setup is very low freq. and the kind you really FEEL. I love it when my hair starts floating...good stuff!

IMO you could run 600 to 800 watts into it and it would be perfect. anything over 1000 wrms is not needed. The nice thing about a large amp is later you can throw another 15" on it and the amp will power both fine. Also running a big amp means the gain has to be low and IMO the amp runs cooler because it's not being pushed as hard as say a 600 wrms amp would be. just my two cents.

I also would go ported and tuned to 28-32 Hz. I plan to build another box ported and tuned to 28 Hz just to hear the difference.

Edited by Amish Marauder

My rl-p loves the Orion 8002

i have a 12" rl-p gettign 1200wrms daily from an orion 2500d in 2.5ft^3 tuned to 32hz...no issues....except the wife says i need to gain it down a bit as the sub is overpowering the rest of the factory bose bullchit.

oh well, you win some, you lose some...lol..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Mike emailed me about this question and said that the sub would handle this much power but he didn't like recommending it. I kind of like the idea of having enough power to add another sub later on, so i'm liking the BX1500D and it is only $20 more. I will be porting the sub in probably 2 cu ft @ 32 hz. Would this change any of your opinions?

Scott

Edited by Scott18

just be easy on your gain and you will be fine.

as for your choice of enclosure... why only 2cu ft? I would go no smaller than 2.5 net on the box. If it were me I would be going 3 cu ft @ 28-32Hz

I guess it depends on what you want out of it. SQ or SPL or maybe a combination of both.

SQ: go with a sealed enclosure aiming for 2.1 to 2.25 cu ft

SPL: go for a vented enclosure aiming for 2.5 to 3.5 cu ft @ 32-34 Hz

SQ/SPL: vented enclosure aiming for 2.5 to 3.5 cu ft @ 24-28 Hz

Edited by Amish Marauder

well i never understood why people throw so much power to them anyways. my two get absurdly loud w/ 500W apiece. i tried out a single rl-p sealed in my car, also off 500w...and it got so dang loud for just one 12"... it moved plenty, i don't really see any benefit in doubling it's power... if i had a 15" i dont think i'd give it any more than 1kW (if that...)

well i never understood why people throw so much power to them anyways.  my two get absurdly loud w/ 500W apiece.  i tried out a single rl-p sealed in my car, also off 500w...and it got so dang loud for just one 12"...  it moved plenty, i don't really see any benefit in doubling it's power...  if i had a 15" i dont think i'd give it any more than 1kW (if that...)

I have to agree with you. I bought my Directed 1500D because I was going to pair it with a SI 15" MAG D2 and then at the last minute bought a SS RL-p 15 instead. Like I posted above, I think 600 to 800 watts rms would be perfect.

well i never understood why people throw so much power to them anyways.  my two get absurdly loud w/ 500W apiece.  i tried out a single rl-p sealed in my car, also off 500w...and it got so dang loud for just one 12"...  it moved plenty, i don't really see any benefit in doubling it's power...  if i had a 15" i dont think i'd give it any more than 1kW (if that...)

because we can!! lol..but for real, i'm just too lazy to put the actual amp for the rl-p (hifonics nemesis nx750d, yeah a rated 750wrms @ 1ohm) into the truck. i used the orion when i demo's the rl-s and jsut left it there.

but your right, they don't need 1200-1500 wrms. 500-700 is more then enough. i do like the idea of having the headroom to add another if ya wish. just make sure impedence will allow such a purchase.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

i was actually really surprised how efficient they are. i just ported my pair of 12's in my trans am, and it was INSANE with my crossfire vr2000d, like unbearable. if i had to guess i'd say upper 140's. screwed that amp up after about 5 minutes of play time, had it mounted to the box and it started making a high pitched noise so i pulled it, and hooked up my diamond d5 600.2 component amp to them. they only see 300 watts each now, and they still pound. i doubt i lost anymore than 2 or 3 decibals. before they were getting about 1kw each.