edouble101

JL Audio's new enclsoure

What makes this enclosure perform any better than a normal forth order enclosure?

HO110W6ve_LowRes.jpg

Or this old style. Just a forth order bandpass?

HOWedge_Tech.png?1312512515

It says JL Audio on it, so it must be made from gold.

Looks like just a ported to me. Not 4th bandpass

It couples the driver and the vent. It's not a bandpass enclosure. They have owned the patent on this for a long time. Detailed description of how it works can been read in the patent.

It works very similar to THX's enclosure technology. The one they are suing Apple right now for infringement on the iPhone and iPad.

They are extremely nice enclosures. I like them.

I never said that the new enclosure was a bandpass. It is a forth order though (not a forth order bandpass). Their old design looks like a bandpass.

I never said that the new enclosure was a bandpass. It is a forth order though (not a forth order bandpass). Their old design looks like a bandpass.

The designs are exactly the same. There is a reason why the area of the opening is the size it is.

I highly doubt it's forth order. JL's boxes normally have a shallower rolloff. Without modeling I'd guess its more than likely closer to 2nd order.

I never said that the new enclosure was a bandpass. It is a forth order though (not a forth order bandpass). Their old design looks like a bandpass.

The designs are exactly the same. There is a reason why the area of the opening is the size it is.

I highly doubt it's forth order. JL's boxes normally have a shallower rolloff. Without modeling I'd guess its more than likely closer to 2nd order.

Is it possible to design an enclosure similar to these? 

Sure, I'm mobile so I can't view it but go on google patents. You can find JL's patent on the technology.

Sure, I'm mobile so I can't view it but go on google patents. You can find JL's patent on the technology.

I read it. I didn't see any mention of specifics enclosure parameters. Such as tuning and airspace relationship of the different spaces.    

Pyle had enclosures similar to these in the mid 90s.  They used the drivers downfiring with the vent and drivers loading against a bottom panel.