Sign in to follow this  
despot

Stealth Installs in Wheel Wells Good Idea?

Hey, I was wondering what you guys think of this idea. I've seen it done before and think it's awesome.

At the back of my trunk (back as in back of the car) there is a small slightly recessed "well" on each side (Taurus). I have seen an install of a pair of small subs, one on each side, and thought it was pretty cool. I'm fairly new to fiberglassing but I pick up things pretty fast and I think I could pull this off. Basically I want it to look unique, custom but still OEM-style, and pound hard, yet still offer the trunk space I need for long trips.

My concerns:

1. When the subs are installed opposing each other in the wells like this, will them pointing at each other cancel out the sound waves and make them suck?

2. If I've got my trunk full of stuff, will I still be able to hear them? I will be giving about 300-350 watts per side, I still wanna shake the car and give some good solid bass, but I don't need to blur my vision or post 150 dB SPL. It's just a daily driver setup in a car that often gets used as my mobile home. :D

The Subs:

I need to do some more thought with this project, make sure I really wanna do it before I go doing it. But here are a few drivers I think I might check out for doing this job.

- Kicker Solo Baric S8D (the round ones)

- Phoenix Gold Titanium 10's

- ED 8A

I also have to do some measuring and all that, to make sure I have enough room for a 10". But the S8D's seem nice because of their extremely small box requirements. Not sure if the S8L5 or S8L7 will fit but I will definitely consider those as well. I do want to make sure I don't spend all the time fiberglassing this or something then immediately want to upgrade to something else. Anyone got an opinion on this?

Thanks everyone.

- Alex

dont be scared just do it... :P

ive done a few and about to do one in my corolla for 2-12's in the tire well.

its not that hard the best thing to do is start on a small project then work yourself from there.

good luck

jamie

lol in the show 300Z we tossed the spare and put countless 15's in there, it was sponsered by Audiobahn at the time, so needless to say we blew a lot of woofers going by their specs

No I didn't mean where the spare tire is. On each side of the rear of the trunk there is a little recessed well behind the rear wheel wells. That's where I want to put the subs. The spare tire will stay where it is.

i put a pair of he 10's in the side wells in a 86 mercedes 190E 16 valve... dood didnt want to impede his trunk much and it turned out cool...

its near impossible to go ported so sealed worked just fine

you can do some clever MDF manipulation or glass it if you want to...

when it comes down to it, glass and wood would be your best option