Sign in to follow this  
riored4v

12" ICON from sealed to ported

Currently running my 12" ICON in a 1.35 cu ft sealed enclosure.  The car is a hatchback.  While the sub itself sounds clean and puts out decent volume, I'm often wishing it hit the lower notes a bit better and was louder. 

Is anyone able to help me design a ported enclosure for this sub?  I'm trying to keep the footprint of the enclosure as small as possible, but I understand it'll take more space than the sealed setup currently.

This is the current setup:

13232405935_0b11190e3f_c.jpg
Untitled by riored4v, on Flickr

Regarding the height, i can't really go much taller since this still allows me to use my hatch cover to keep everything out of eye sight.  Its at 13.5" tall.

Any help would be appreciated.

Give us the dimensions your willing to use and we will be glad to help you out, 13.5" height will be fine. 

Give us the dimensions your willing to use and we will be glad to help you out, 13.5" height will be fine. 

Alright.  I'll grab some front-to-back measurements of the hatch floor.  I'm thinking if I can keep the box contained to just one side of the hatch, leaving the other side open and usable, that it would be perfect.  I'm not too worried about factoring in the angle of the seats.

Took some quick measurements and if rebuilding a box, I think i'd like to go with 13" H.  I could go with 17" D pretty comfortably (can go more if needed) and the W I'm a bit open to.  I guess I would be curious on how wide it would actually end up being if it was 13"Hx17"D.  I'd also prefer to keep the sub top firing like it is currently so I dont have to worry about stuff sliding in to it.  Thanks again for the help guys.

Also, if someone is able to help me design the box using an aero port instead of a slot port, that would be much appreciated.

As for tuning.. I'm not sure where the best frequency would be.  Its mainly for daily use and I primarily listed to electronic and rock music.  I'm guessing around 30-32hz?