Sign in to follow this  
Bryan Mckendry

Is my subwoofer blown?

I currently have a hifonics 1500.1 and a Fi bl 15.

As I was listening to it today, the sub cut out and started to make a crackling noise. When I turned the volume down really low, the bass became normal again, but then I tried to turn the volume up a little it began to make the crackling noise again. Duly think I could have blown the coils? Could it be a rca problem? Could the wires in the box come loose? Any feedback is appreciated, thank you.

check all wiring

Double check all your connections at the amp and box. Inside box as well. While your in there check the coil resistances (independently). Swap rca cables if possible. If the problem persists try a different amp. If it works normally it's the amp and if it does the same thing it's the sub.

We cant tell you if wires came loose in your box, take the sub out and inspect it. Measure the terminals with a DMM. All the questions you asked you are gonna have to troubleshoot yourself to find out, we cant guess at whats wrong without more info.

Amp settings?

Headunit settings?

Thank you. And I wasn't meaning for you to know exactly what was wrong with it, I was wondering whether or not the things I listed could be the source of the problem.

I also tuned my amp with a multimeter so I know it's not clipping.

Thank you. And I wasn't meaning for you to know exactly what was wrong with it, I was wondering whether or not the things I listed could be the source of the problem.

I also tuned my amp with a multimeter so I know it's not clipping.

dmm doesnt know if your clipping or not

Like previously stated tuning with a DMM is not that effective. Hopefully no boost was used on amp or h/u.

Edited by jay-cee

Check each coils resistance like was stated..Sounds like a clipping issue may have got the best of the bl.Could also be a be a damaged hifonics.

My guess is on loose wiring. I only as that as it has happened to me with similar symptoms.

J