Sign in to follow this  
Oak244

Install about to start.. need help

Hi I am about to install my SI sub. Its a Gen 2 SI 12" D2 sub. It will be part of a 4 way system looking like so...

BG Neo3 Tweets In the pillars or kicks (not sure yet)

Scanspeak 4.5" Revelators In the kicks

Peerless Xls8" In the doors

(1) Stereo Integrity 12" In the trunk.

I have

50 Watts to the Tweets

150 Watts to the Scans

300 Watts to the Peerless

900 Watts to the SI Sub... All US Amp USA Series Power

The SI sub will need to blend well with this setup, and will play from 65ish down. I need some ideas for box placement and what kind of box. I am willing to fiberglass so I was considering the side of the trunk behind the wheel well, or off the back of my seat facing the rear of the car. Any thoughts?

Next what kind on enclosure. If sealed I can do that easily if you tell me what size. If ported, I will need to know what size box, and what size port.

I originally was going to do a sealed enclosure, however I am told the Xls will really pound, and the SI is only playing the 60's down, so maybe a ported box would be better suited to be louder and deeper.

Thanks in advance for any help. I kinda really need it :-)

Ideal setup would be to plug the sub and enclosure into the rear deck and seal the trunk from the cabin. THe next inline would be the rear corner of the trunk. Vented or sealed will really depend on your tastes.

Ideal setup would be to plug the sub and enclosure into the rear deck and seal the trunk from the cabin.  THe next inline would be the rear corner of the trunk.  Vented or sealed will really depend on your tastes.

x2

Ok since a times two I need some more explanation. I do not understand what you mean by seal the sub and enclosure to the rear deck. Does this mean actually cutting a large hold in the metal and having the sub mounted there so it could be seen from the rear window? If so, no I do not want to destroy my car that way.

He means Infinite Baffle, in which you can mount the subwoofer in the rear deck. But, with the use of infinite baffle, you need to completely isolate the "rear" wave from the "front wave", which is what he meant by seal.

Ohh I see... But sealing the trunk is not easy right? Right now there are no speakers in the rear deck so there are two large holes, which I could fill, but beyond that what other measures must be taken?

Really I think I like the idea of doing an enclosure better. So if the sub goes in the rear corner, should it face the side of the car, or be angled toward the front of the car?

My original Idea was to build an amp rack against the back of the back seat, in way so the only way you would see the amps is with the back seat removed. Then build the enclosure off the back of the amp rack, with the sub facing the rear of the car.

But I could still do the fake wall and mount the amps the way I wanted and put the sub in the rear corner if that would be better...

Now as for ported or sealed, what will the two differences be? Like I say since I have the Peerless 8" drivers up front, the sub will only be responsible for the Very low bass. It will be responsible for 65Hz and down. So I want the sub to be loud, and go as low as possible. I have wondered since my front stage is going to be so loud if a single 12" is going to do the job of keeping up with the front stage lol

Actually, I didn't mean IB, but that could work well, but most are not satified with the output.

Mounting the sub and enclosure to the deck and or back of seats and sealing the trunk from the cabin means you're only pressurizing the listening environment instead of that and the trunk. I've done it on the Taurus and the results are great.

You don't necessarilt have to do it in the rear deck or cut a huge hole either. There are many ways to implement it.

The vented alignment will give you a boost in output, but with a steep drop off below tuning. If you want the ability to go "as low as possible," that can only be achieved with a sealed setup.

Considering your equipment choices, you might like an IB install. You are going to lose some output and bottom the sub easier, but it will sound great....as will the rest of your install, nice choices on equipment I am jealous. What kind of car is it going into? Getting those big Neo's up high would be sweet, but they will be fine on axis in the kicks too.

If it were me, I'd probably just put it in a sealed box. It is much easier to build a box then to seal off your trunk.

Ha Ha do not fall off your chair... Its going in a 1991 Geo Prizm! lol It was my grandfathers car when he passed, and well, for my life its perfect and cheap to run.

So sealed in the rear corner in a fiberglass sealed enclosure is the winner? What size? 1.5 cu ft. or larger? Right now my box is 4.5 cu ft for my old woofer, so I have space if needed.

Can you do a passthrough in an armrest or something? It would take some serious sealing to get a good IB installation done in your car. Either way, you might shake that poor Corolla apart. I know you were concerned about sub output on DIYMA, if that's the case instead of a second you could port it. That sub will sound great either way, but I don't think considering your music tastes that you will need a second and no troubles for that sub to keep up with Dave Holland's bass lines all day long.

Can you do a passthrough in an armrest or something?  It would take some serious sealing to get a good IB installation done in your car.  Either way, you might shake that poor Corolla apart.  I know you were concerned about sub output on DIYMA, if that's the case instead of a second you could port it.  That sub will sound great either way, but I don't think considering your music tastes that you will need a second and no troubles for that sub to keep up with Dave Holland's bass lines all day long.

Well no you can not go through the armrest, but yes the measures to seal my trunk is not something I reallt would like to do. I do have access into the cab of the car from the trunk through the rear speaker holes. I had to take the rear speakers out, because the sub pressure kept blowing them. Now I like a Front stage only system so well, I do not want to try to put rears back in.