Sign in to follow this  
Oak244

12 to 15

Well I have a SI 12" sub thats been in my room all winter waiting to be installed. Well then early spring I decided to change almost my entire system. I now have a Arc Audio 2500XXK to run my sub. This is one sick powerful amp at 1 Ohm which I plan to run that way for 1050+ watts. Anyway, I entertained the idea of putting 2 12" subs in my car, but then realized due to space problems in my trunk, that would not be a good idea. So now I am wondering with that amp, should I go with a single 15" instead? I assume the box would be a little bigger, then the box for the 12" but not nearly as big as what two 12" would take up!

A 12 to a 15 will be noticeably different for sure. Like you said in your post, a sealed box for a 15 will still be smaller than a dual 12" enclosure...but not by much. If the smaller profile of a 15" enclosure fits the bill then I say it's a no-brainer. :D

Love the 15" idea, but the thought of dual 12s is just making me horny.

Love the 15" idea, but the thought of dual 12s is just making me horny.

:coolugh:

Yeah this should be fun. I am being told a ported enclosure for this sub and 1050 watts would be too loud for my setup and I should go with a large sealed box instead lol

Well I was told a 3' sealed box is best for what I want. its only gonna play 60Hz down, so I wanted it to go deep. We are looking at 37"X16"X12" or 41"X16"X11" depending on where I put my amp rack.

2.5 will do just fine. Stuff it with about 2 pounds of polyfil and you'll have an enclosure that is close to 3 cubes as seen by the woofer. Even 3 cubes stuffed vs. 2.5 stuffed wouldn't make that much of a difference down low. If you don't absolutely NEED 3 cubic feet, go with 2.5 stuffed, you'll be fine.

2.5 will do just fine.  Stuff it with about 2 pounds of polyfil and you'll have an enclosure that is close to 3 cubes as seen by the woofer.  Even 3 cubes stuffed vs. 2.5 stuffed wouldn't make that much of a difference down low. If you don't absolutely NEED 3 cubic feet, go with 2.5 stuffed, you'll be fine.

Oh 3 feet is fine lol The box I just took out of that trunk was 4.7 cu ft. so going down to a 3 cube leave even more room!