Sign in to follow this  
dave_Edwards

The Review is in....

Is it being edited?

The forum won't seem to let me post Dave's review.

Dave,

If you would like to post the review please do so. The forum keeps giving me an error for some reason.

Introduction----

Well what can I say----Sundown Audio has not let me down with this amp----

from the solid weight and good size footprint you know you have some power in your hands----

the look of my "1200 watt" amp was kinda plain with stickers on it(which I think makes it look even better---the plain part)

My first thoughts were---oh another 1500 watt class D amp(woop dee doo)----but I was mistaken.....

Listening tests-----

As a few of you might know I have listened to ALOT of amps for Ampman.com as a reviewer and was one of the first guys

to listen to the Ampman Revolution D1500.1/ RE 35.1/ Better Audio 1600(all the same amp designed by Destnjli Engineering.

The Revo. would be a close match to this amp so away we go!!!

the set up----Pioneer DEX/DEQ P9 HU/EQ combo

Sundown Audio 1500 @ 1 ohm

Vifa 6.5 midbasses

Vifa tweets

Adire Audio Brahma 15 MKII

2.75 cubes sealed

stock 160 amp alt in my 2005 Dodge Magnum

I used a combo of the crossover from the amp and the P9 combo

all JL Audio connects

Crossover settings----sub--80Hz @ 30dBs

mids--80Hz@30dBs & 5kHz@24dBs

Tweets--2.5kHz@36dBs

The listening test was done over a period of time(a few months, so I could really tune to each song)

song one as always has been "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits

the into has little bass but about 35seconds in the kick drum comes in----the Sundown amp played clean and controlled

throughout the song good mixing with the Vifa Midbasses I am using!!! Tight is word thrown around alot so I will use "punchy"

for this song

impact--9/10

control--8.5/10

output--9/10

overall--9/10

song two----"what it is" by Busta Rhymes

DAMN---that is one spicy meat ball!!!---I use this track to hear the REAL control of a subamp---there should be no over or

underhang on the bass notes and the Sundown amp does this song justice and then some!!!great output great control----

should be a song for you to almost feel the control the amp has.

impact--10/10

control--10/10

output--10/10

overall--10/10

song three was "only time" by Enya

there was alittle too much rumble with the deeper notes on this track at first----after changing the bass settings on the HU

it was smooth,soft and detailed---did NOT sound like a typical Class D amp---I listened to this track 2 times in a row and it

just sounded great!! the blending of the bass to midbass was phenomenal!

impact--5/10

control--8.5/10

output--4/10

overall--8/10

(since this wasn't a street CD that many people would crank I judged all the tracks the same)

SQ track---I mean song four was "Temptation" by Diana Krall

I made no changes from the previous tracks settings and it was great----subtle,soft,detailed and great control(I can't seem

to get this across enough---this amp controls your sub(s) great. The upright bass was full and you could pick up the sound of

body of the instrument---the overall sound is good like you are in a jazz club yourself.

impact--4/10

control--9/10

output--4/10

overall--9/10

now that the listening test has been done all I can say is-----"ROAD TRIP!!!"

Picture this----you have your class D amp running at 1 ohm(no vents) and it is in the mid 90's and you are going on a 175 round way trip

I SLAMMED the hell out of this amp for over 1 hour straight in that temp and I NEVER had it even hick-up----this amp is bullet-proof!!

now I ain't gonna lie---the amp got hot----but it never got "HOT"----

conclusion----The Sundown 1500 is one of, if not THE best Class D I have reviewed---output,power,and overall control were all top notch.

I have a soft spot in my heart for my

Revolution D1500.1 but the "Revo" is just a brute force amp and lacks the control and the impact ability that you get with the

Sundown Audio 1500---and they both do 1500 watts so you are not sacrificing power to sound good either.

Sweet review. I love the SAZ 100x2 amp I've got now but I'm replacing it with another offering from Jake this week (more power). Two humbs up for the SAZ 2 channel amp and the sub amp. There are a lot of reason's why we recommend them on our Mag's. :fing34:

Dave,

Great review, but can you elaborate onyour out of 10 scores? 4/10 on impact during you Temptation review doesn't sound like a good score but your subjective evaluation states the opposite.

Thank you it sure looks like an exciting new product!!

well---since the song doesn't have alot of imapct bass---there the score suffers----if the song had impact the score would have been lower----i guess you could say it was lack of impact was 10/10

That is what I figured, but wanted to make sure others reading understand it was song and not amp related. :fing34:

great review Dave,

I felt the afternoon with the Z3, I got to hear the Sundown was very impressive. I would be interested in testing this against something like the RF Power 1001, about the same power.

great review Dave,

I felt the afternoon with the Z3, I got to hear the Sundown was very impressive. I would be interested in testing this against something like the RF Power 1001, about the same power.

I would guess the MD2 is fairly close.

he will, just dont let Jim around the amps while dave has them :P

Hm... If I ever saw my equipment in that notorious flowery van of his, I think I'll have a stroke :runlaugh:

At least they're not tubular hehe

Edited by joebangaa