Tirefryr

Upgrading Coax?

Okay, well, with my new house I want to rip out all the existing old coax and install new throughout. Question is, what is the best cable to go with for quality? I will be updating to HD in a year or two, so I want the best I can get.

I assume this is for CATV?

Belden makes some good stuff...if they have a quad-shielded RG-6QS equivalent I'd go with that.

Do you know the differences in cable and connectors? When I did some panel work for NASA, they had a low impedance cable and used BNC connectors only. There must be some reasoning. I don't know or understand the difference in impedance and connections, or the cable designations. I'd like to know.

Most two-way RF connectors are rated for 50ohms, simply because that's what most radio outputs are rated for. Also, N-connectors are rated for microwave use, because they have the least insertion loss and they're waterproof. N-connectors are often used for 1GHz and above, just because PL-259s and BNCs have too much loss at those frequencies.

But for normal home use, F-connectors are fine...especially for receiving. You aren't as concerned with standing wave ratio.