Sign in to follow this  
IamDeMan

Line array project.

Recreation of my prior post on this.

I bought my NSBs a little before Brandon did. I am just now getting started building my towers. They will be 8 ft tall and tuned to 60hz. They will contain in each tower 16 NSBs paired with 12 dayton 3/4" tweeters and a 12db basic XO @ 4.5Khz. I plan on doing 3 layers of laquer. I am contemplating wheter buring a 1/4" hole in dust cap should be done. I have seen it recomended a few places to aid cooling. Anywho here is 2 days progress.

linearray004bu1.jpg

linearray005hl6.jpg

Well I have a job starting the 25th that will do in the mean time while I look for something more suitable. It's start pay isn't terrible and it has med, dental and vision along with a decent 401k to roll my other one into. The job itself isn't eactly my cup of tea but will do for now.

So, I did some work today. I cut the holes for the NSBs on one tower. Then mocked up where the tweeters and ports will be just for a photo.

linearray008xl0.jpg

Got the rest of the holes cut on the first tower.

linearray010tp9.jpg

linearray012pi7.jpg

Update kind of.

I have no new pics, because I am not any further in constructiion/finishing. They are where they were. I test fit and temporarily mounted all components and brad nailed the back panel very conservatively. I did this just to get an idea of what I am going to end up with.

First up is looks. It is exactly what I wanted n that department. It fills the area designated for them nicely. Yes it is a penis enlarger, in which case brings me to a perceptual 15" lol. This is one of the reason I chose this design for my first HT build. I like the small footprint and phallic appearance.

They sound alright. I have already realized the flaw of my design. I should have went with more tweeters. I know you're saying WTF??? you has 12 already!! It isn't output that bothers me. It is imaging when seated. This is what makes expensive planars the same height as the mid line, great in this design. When I am standing, it sounds really good. A lot better than my cheap sonys I have been limping with(so yes my reference isn't as good as others.) The crossover needs to be worked with after I get my galaxy mic to analyze what I have now.

My only solution to the imaging problem is a floating mount that swivels down. I was thinking some arm that can tilt holding it from bottom rear bolted to a wall stud. Then a cable system attached near the top rear of the cabinet which us also bolted to wall stud. This way I can have them straight up when having gatherings, then tilt them toward the seats for optimum listening conditions. Anyone have reasons why this isn't a good idea? As it stands now, seated listening is innacceptable.

BTW this design definitely accompishes it's main goal. It is so efficient that it isn't even funny. On my Yamaha with a supposed 110 per channel they get stupid loud. My next project may be a more appropriate HT design and I'll move these to the back patio to piss everyone off if the mood strikes me lol.

Yay...it's back :)

Now if I could just finally make a decision and finishthese damn things once and for all. I started this back in September, lol.

Keep the progree pictures coming!